• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M932A2 to Super Sized pick-Up Transformation

BOXBUILDER6971

20160102_133359.jpgrsz_20160131_113030[1].jpgrsz_20160131_113048[1].jpgrsz_20160131_112954[1].jpgrsz_20160131_112943[1].jpgrsz_20160131_113107[1].jpg

My truck started its life as a M932A2 tractor with winch. I found it on the BAY. Flew to Wisconsin to inspect it and pay for it. Had it shipped to me on a lowboy trailer. I have never had or drove anything as big as this before. I have always like the Steel Soldiers my fellow brother have on here. I missed my pick-up I had before. I figured go big or go home. I researched Georgia law on CDL and Commercial Vehicles. North Georgia DOT scales told me as long as it is for personal use not commercial use. A recreational Vehicle does not have to have CDL, even with full air brakes. So to keep me under 26000lbs. I used a M105A2 trailer bed. The M105A2 has the same frame width as the tractor 34". The M105A2 trailer bed is rated at 3000lbs, not the 10000lbs+ that the M925A2 bed is rated. I found a real nice M105A2 trailer local with the walls and bows and tarp. Went to local metal shop bought some 10" steel channel. Cut it around 9'2" same length as the Trailer bed. Cut a piece to fit between the two side pieces to make the 34" OD. End piece was put in backwards to fit trailer better. Piece of conveyor belt 3" wide in between to seal with Herculiner bed liner. A piece of 3" angle iron the same length as the factory angle iron mount for the fifth wheel. I drilled 3/4" holes to match the factory holes. All new 5/8" grade 8 bolts and washers and locknuts used to mount the frame I made and the frame of the truck and the trailer bed. The factory tread plate in front of the fifth wheel was welded to another factory tread plate I bought local. this was bolted down to the truck frame as from factory. Added a small piece of tread plate to fill entire length of frame of tractor. All was then coated with Herculiner bed liner, one of the toughest roll on bed liner you can buy at a reasonable price. The 3" rubber conveyor belt was ran in between both frames to seal, also coated with bed liner. The 12 each 5/8" bolts that hold the frames together make a good seal with the rubber. I then had 3/16" flat metal bent 2" one side 7" wide 3" on the other side to make a custom channel. Welded it to the side of the trailer bed to be as wide as the tires on the tractor. Filled in the wheel wells with heavy sheet metal. The large tie downs for the trailer was to long on the back. The tires may hit it and damage tires. cut heated and welded them flat to protect tires and keep factory look. I wanted to have mud flaps because the tires can pick up some large objects from the road. I had to add 1/2" steel plate 8" wide to the frame I built to hold the mud flap I bought at a truck shop. Only down fall is I can not open my tailgate all the way down. I factory ones on the BAY were over $300. Mine were like $30, all I had to do is make flaps. I went to the same place I got the conveyor belt. Found some of the same belt in scrap just wide enough to cover my tires. I cut them long and added left over 3/8" stainless pieces from battery tie downs I made before. All stainless bolts with stainless locknuts and washers used. I installed a backup camera and monitor on the dash above gauges. Installed led back-up lights. I deleted the CTIS because it leaked and set front tires to 35PSI and back to 60PSI, something like that. Where the ECU was I installed 2 sets of 3 switches. To run camera, monitor and back up lights and inside dome lights. All LED lights 9-32VDC. New LED tail lights and LED turn signals. LED headlight soon. I hope this helps show someone how I converted my truck and give ideas to what I have done.

Last edited:

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice work. With all the surplus tractors out there, I'm surprised more folks don't do this.

One nit - "The M105A2 trailer bed is rated at 3000lbs..." Actually the whole M105 trailer is rated for 3000lbs offroad and at least 4500lbs highway. The bed itself can probably hold a great deal more than that.

Csm Davis

Nice truck and I have to side with Trailboss the beds are not what's rated but the complete vehicle generally the brakes and suspension have more to do with weight rating than body parts, and I hate to tell you but you still have a truck rated for more than 26,000 lbs. Even with the 105 data tag on the side which is more likely to get you a ticket than without it on there.
Your truck still weighs around 20,000 lbs. and can still carry approximately 20,000 lbs down the road or 10,000 lbs. offroad hence the name 5 ton. But I am not telling you that you have to be CDL, the LEO'S you spoke to are correct in that if you are not making money with it you are fine.

EO2NMCB

While not a big fan of mods, I like it. It looks a lot like the WWII 7.5 ton prime movers. Very nice truck you have.

BOXBUILDER6971

Thank all of you for the comments. You are correct about the weights. I put the Data plate I got on the BAY to show the weight for the trailer. The only weight it shows is the 3000lbs off road. Here in Georgia it works for me. I have a Georgia tag rated at 26000lbs. The tag office here and DOT here say it is correct. I will let them win this time. Here in Dalton the only way I could get my truck under 26000lbs was to change the bed. Then tell them I would neve use it for commercial. The bed is now right at 5 feet from the ground. I do not use it for any hauling, I just like the way it looks. When the trailer is complete with walls, bows and tarp. I have a 7'X9' tent 5 feet off the ground. Going to take it camping soon. A mobile tent 5 foot off the ground, go almost anywhere weighing 21,660lbs, that will pull down small trees. Look out Bambi!!

Last edited:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm a fan of the truck tractors + bed. Like a bobber without giving up 6x6 or cutting on the truck.

I like to use cut down 5ton dropside beds, or deuce beds.

As far as GVWR, they're going to stick you with whatever they feel like at the time. The pintle hitch on the back gives you an easy 15k + the empty weight of the truck. Or they will just add up your tires' rating, or they'll decide it's a 44k tandem and stick you with that. Or they may leave you entirely alone. I wouldn't worry about it....

98G

The HUlk

Not to hijack your thread, but figured I'd post up a photo of our M931A1 tractor that the previous owner added two M105 beds and extended the rear frame about 3'. The short wheelbase makes it much nicer to drive.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks