• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939A2 A/C Compressor Mount Kit, Pass Side, Factory Serpentine Drive

74M35A2

Working on this kit, as promised, as some of you in the south are already begging for it. Bracket is done and mounted, compressor is mounted, I now just need to obtain a longer belt. She looks great and makes much more sense than the $500-$750 Red Dot/Kenway kit that adds a V belt compressor drive onto the driver side of the engine, spaces the fan forward, etc.... Will post ad in classifieds when this kit is fully complete and state here when available. I am considering to offer the compressor and/or longer serpentine belt as line item options, or can simply specify their data. This kit will easily and quickly mount any Sanden or Sanden type A/C "ear mount" compressor onto the factory serpentine drive system. No forming group buys, no waiting, no sweating, just cash and carry, then plug and play. Stay tuned, this is only a few days away from availability. I mentioned Friday, and should be able to make that.

Artisan

I have a bracket and compressor all mounted and done in my M925A1.

I have an Evap coil for an M939 in the driveway ready to bolt in.

Now what ?

LOL.

74M35A2

Hey bud. You're good, because my kit fits A2's (8.3L) only. Since I have an M925A2, I don't have a Cummins 855/250 engine to template anything off of.

74M35A2

The direct fit Sanden A/C compressor will be a Sanden 4866. This compressor is modular in that you then pick the ports size and orientation for what you need on hose connections (not included when compressor is purchased). It comes with the necessary 8 rib pulley and 24V clutch for use with our military Cummins 8.3L's. This unit is available in either genuine Sanden or clone models. The clones also supposedly work well, as I have had one on my Jeep for over 10 years now and it still blows cold without recharge. Most Sanden ear mount compressors are modular in that you can easily swap out the clutch and clutch coil, so if you already have a Sanden compressor, but it is equipped with a V belt clutch, or 12V coil, those parts can be bought separately and swapped out so you would not have to buy an entirely new compressor, although a new compressor with all the right parts on it from the get go is really not all that expensive. This common compressor style is better known as an SD7H15 type, which is the general specification, flex 7 meaning it is modular, and the model 4866 combines this with the clutch specification of 8 rib and 24V coil.

jetjockB747

The direct fit Sanden A/C compressor will be a Sanden 4866. This compressor is modular in that you then pick the ports size and orientation for what you need on hose connections (not included when compressor is purchased). It comes with the necessary 8 rib pulley and 24V clutch for use with our military Cummins 8.3L's. This unit is available in either genuine Sanden or clone models. The clones also supposedly work well, as I have had one on my Jeep for over 10 years now and it still blows cold without recharge. Most Sanden ear mount compressors are modular in that you can easily swap out the clutch and clutch coil, so if you already have a Sanden compressor, but it is equipped with a V belt clutch, or 12V coil, those parts can be bought separately and swapped out so you would not have to buy an entirely new compressor, although a new compressor with all the right parts on it from the get go is really not all that expensive. This common compressor style is better known as an SD7H15 type, which is the general specification, flex 7 meaning it is modular, and the model 4866 combines this with the clutch specification of 8 rib and 24V coil.
Looking forward to your posting. I've had an AC kit sitting idle for the last 2 years waiting for a mount kit.

jetjockB747

My first truck has had the AC installed for the last 18 months. Worth every penny down here in S. FLA. I've got the Red Dot compressor mount kit installed. I found the RD kit to be over-engineered and some what cumbersome.

74M35A2

Yes, I had that kit and sold it. Up to this point, there was nothing else available specific to our accessory drives. That kit is unbelievably heavy, bulky, risks radiator damage when pulling fan off, etc..... The kit I am making is superior in every measurable aspect. I really wanted it to be on the serpentine drive using the spring loaded tensioner, to be added fairly quickly, be strong, and for it to be on the passengers side of the engine. I'm picking up a few test belts today at lunch and will try them tonight. As soon as I find the best length, this will be a go. I expect to be able to take orders by this Friday, but since I do not have any stock of parts yet, I will need a fabrication time of 1 week for initial orders before I can ship out. It will come complete with all required fasteners. Here are a few pics, a typical Sanden "ear mount" A/C compressor, and where the A/C compressor placement will be when done, same as a factory 8.3 vehicle that had A/C, but without us having to retro-fit the front timing gear cover over to the newer style which accepts that combo alternator/A/C compressor bracket. That newer bracket only accepts "pad mount" alternators and A/C compressors, so though it could be used, it would be completely cost prohibitive, as you would need to buy a new alternator, new A/C compressor, new bracket, and new timing gear case. The Sanden A/C compressor show in the below pic has ports on it already. You can use this one, but the compressor I would also recommend is their Flex 7 series SD7H15 #4866, which is a modular rear port type, you pick the ports that best fit including thread and seal connection type, and also if rear or up facing. If you are buying the compressor, and want even a little more cooling capacity, Sanden offers a model with a little more flow, called an "enhanced" or SD7H15E, but you can't get it with a 24v 8 rib clutch and ear mount, though you could build it up as that with other parts such as ordering it with a 12v coil and then swapping that out with a 24v coil from them ($37). This is what I did to better support my Red Dot R-9777 (not yet installed) at idle. The traditional SD7H15 flows plenty in most applications and it what is used most in automotive and even larger applications. I have confirmed no interference when closing hood, etc... Plenty of room. As a teaser, it looks like I should be able to hold pricing to under the $400 I initially proposed, including delivery.

Attachments

Last edited:

74M35A2

This bracket will also give you a sturdy platform to mount a second alternator (24v or 12v), or belt driven hydraulic pump in place of the A/C compressor if you so desire. Serpentine driven hydro pump great for converting 923A2 to 925A2 winch, or for adding fast cycle time dump hydraulics.

Attachments

74M35A2

Not much update for this evening. First shot at belt size was a strike out. I now measured with a flat fabric tape, and will try a second and hopefully more accurate guess tomorrow. Belt may have to be ordered so maybe not in until Thursday. Good news of the day is that your belt tensioner will likely not have to be re-indexed. This is a big win, since the two tapered Allen head screws retaining this bracket don't want to come out easily. I hate these types of fasteners, they should at least be Torx if they needed to be an internal drive type. There seems to be no advantage to re-index it, as any further rotation of it allows the belt to rub the tensioner body anyway. Compressor and bracket look great. I'm waiting to complete the config until I post a pic.

74M35A2

3 belt sizes on order, 1 comes in today @ 3p, other 2 tomorrow. I found what I think is the lowest cost source for brand new Sanden 4866 compressors if anybody wants one, or does not feel like swapping out their V pulley clutch on one they already own with an 8 rib serpentine one. At $181, this is nearly the same price as the clone version. The 4866 is a 7 piston compressor (SD7H15) with 9.06 cubic inch displacement and 8 rib 24v clutch pulley, plug and play for our mil 8.3's. It is capable of up to 25,500BTU of cooling (7.5kW). http://acparts.com/NEW-Original-Sanden-Compressor-Part-11-4866-11-4866.htm If you need or want even a little more, then go with a Sanden enhanced version (SD7H15E), same external dimensions, and capable of 35,800BTU max cooling (10.5kW). The enhanced is not available with both an 8 rib and 24V clutch, so you would have to buy it in 8 rib 12v model, and then swap out the clutch coil for a 24v one, or run a resistor to drop the signal to 12v, or use a 24/12 relay and drive it from one battery (like the blower low speed does). 24V clutch coil is $37 direct from Sanden. I went this path. Here is the enhanced SD7H15E model number with ear mount 8 rib serpentine pulley, but 12V coil: 4805. http://acparts.com/NEW-Original-Sanden-Compressor-Part-11-4805-11-4805.htm With either of these, you will still have to buy the appropriate rear port fittings you desire to best connect to your system: http://www.sanden.com/flx7.html Sorry, I still don't know why my paragraph spacing does not work. I know it makes this hard to read.

74M35A2

It will, no problem. You may need to change the holes/length of the lower alternator brace to fine tune the belt length.