• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep005 Producing Instrument Readings but No Power at the Main Circuit Breaker

Slightly different issue with my 005 - I can start and run just fine - holding the start switch will flash as designed and then I have Hz and V on the panel (and can adjust both with RPM and the Field Knob respectively) but I get nothing to the input of the main breaker (no power on either side or anywhere on the reconnection board) - the breaker seems to open and close normally and no alarm panel lights are lit.

I gather the generator is making power and the instruments pick it up somewhere very close to the winding but I am interrupted prior to the board...

Thoughts?

Guyfang

Staff member
Wanderingwillys,

This is hard to believe. CT1, CT2 and CT3 measure voltage for your meters. So if your meters are reading right, the G-1, (main gen) has to be putting out voltage. The fact that the hertz meter is reading means A.C. is present. As the thermal watt converter uses an A.C. signal to convert it to D.C. for the hertz meter.

On TB-6, what you call the reconnection board, connections 1,2 and 3 should read A.C. voltage when measured against LO. There is nothing between the G-1 and the TB-6 to interrupt the flow of voltage. From TB-6 to the CB-2, (main output contactor) there is nothing to stop the flow of voltage from the TB, to the input terminals of CB2. So, mesure again. Did this gen set work right before?

Is I possible that the power is being stopped in the TB-6? I will have to run it again and see - I need to replace the seal on the injection pump as it was leaking fuel into the crankcase and over filled the crankcase.

I am fairly certain the generator head is producing power - just looking at it I couldn't see anything else that would prevent power to the inlet of the main breaker if I have indication on the instrument panel.

I have never actually got this unit on the "board" if you will - I got it started and was working through the mechanical side of the engine prior to putting a load on it - discovered the fuel leak after fixing the day tank float and while attempting to have the unit power some machinery...

I will see what I can find out and post the results

Thanks

Matt

Guyfang

Staff member
The only way TB6 could be stopping voltage is for the board to be in the wrong position, and or wires not connected properly. As this gen set has never actually run right before your eyes, you need to look at the TB-6. See what position its in. Then, and this is how I would do it, remove the TB-6. That means removing each and every wire. Then replace the wires. Buy the numbers! Each wire is numbered with a small metal band. The wire number is on the band. Replace the wires to correspond to the TB-6 board replacement. That's the ONLY way you can really KNOW if its wired right. When ever I have a problem that smacks of someone "fixing" a gen set, and it doesn't work right afterwards, I take it apart. Completely. Its the only way. I know its a PITA, but what can I say? Dont worry, its all marked. Read the schematics and wire diagrams. I would print them out. Cover them in plastic and then get er done! Allit takes is for a couple wires to be replaced wrong, and you are non-op. AND look at how the board is installed! It has markings. The manuals explain how to do it.

I'm with ya on the "there I fixed it syndrome" - I will tackle the fuel injector pump seal and purge the oil sump then do exactly as note above - start from scratch...

Thanks for the confirmation

Matt

Guyfang

Staff member
Before you pull the IP, time the pump first, (it's in the book) or when you pull the pump off, do not let it move, (ha ha) one iota.

I would always time the pump first. Saves time in the long run. But some people just pull the pump, and hope it doesn't move while its off. If it gets moved and is out of time, you are going to have to retime it anyway.

Also, when you put the seal on, (actually it is two seals, back to back) put some grease, or better silicone grease, on the seals. When you slide the pump back on, the first seal tends to sometimes fold over and will of course, let fuel and oil mix once again. Most of the time if this happens, the seals can be reused, but that can only be determined when you eyeball it. take your time. The injector lines are a bit of a PITA.

I figured the lines will be a bit of a PITA - I am actually a marine heavy diesel tech by trade it's just the electron herding that is foreign to me...

I was going to set it up turned over to commencement of Number 1 and then it shouldn't matter as you can put it all back... I got two new seals and some other O-rings they listed as well as the seal compressor to help prevent the umbrella from folding over...

Otherwise should be pretty simple

Thanks for the local info, beta is always nice ;)

Matt

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks