• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to title a Mk48 in Oklahoma?

Spdracr

I am in the process of trying to get tag and title for a Mk48/14 here in Oklahoma. My question is do I just title the power unit and consider the trailer just a trailer or title them together and combine the weights? I can't see a manufacturing date on the power unit except for the reman date which is in 2011. Can I use this date? I am trying to get a Florida title thru Gov Planet to take to get a tag and title here in Oklahoma. I will probably will never separate them and if I did with a new Mk14 trailer I could just move the tag over to the back of the trailer I am hooked to. Has anyone had any experience with one of these on this matter? Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:

MtnSnow

To find the original year of the Power Unit look at the emissions tag on the motor & or post in the 2016 VIN thread and see what comes up in the official records...... Do not use the "re-manufactured" date.

Gunzy

Don't title it as a 2011 as that will bring in a whole slew of emissions regulations it will have to meet. You need to find a production or delivery day to register it as.

Spdracr

Ok, thanks. I think it is a 1994 and I will find the tag. But how do I title it as the front power unit and do I just use the front GVW or add both trailer and truck and use that on the title? Also for the vin, there is a short 6 digit number on two plaques and that is the one Gov Planet used but there is a longer one that looks more like a vin to me. Which one would be best to use for VIN...?

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Although YOU might not be presently planning to separate the MK48/MK14 combination, I would question the wisdom of titling them as a single vehicle.

1. If you ever did want to swap trailing units, especially for one of different functionality - i.e.: a wrecker - your one-size-fits-all shortcut would prove short-sighted.

2. If you power unit were to ever fail or be unrepairable after a collision, the WHOLE THING would be subject to scrapping in spite of the actual condition of your trailing unit.

3. If you ever wanted or needed to liquidate some MV's for CASH, you couldn't piece it out but would rather be forced to sell the WHOLE THING.

4. If you've noticed, BOTH units have individual and unique Vehicle Identification Numbers, Model Number Designators, and Manufacture Dates.... DMV might notice this and REQUIRE each piece be Titled and Registered as the individual that it really is.

(DISCLAIMER: I am not an attorney, nor am I attempting to practice law in this or any other state. i am simply a layman, a plain old citizen discussing matters that may or may not be "legal" in nature or content.)

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, thanks. I think it is a 1994 and I will find the tag. But how do I title it as the front power unit and do I just use the front GVW or add both trailer and truck and use that on the title? Also for the vin, there is a short 6 digit number on two plaques and that is the one Gov Planet used but there is a longer one that looks more like a vin to me. Which one would be best to use for VIN...?
You would most likely want to use the GVWR ( gross vehicle weight rating) on the power unit , not the GVW (gross vehicle weight).

Gunzy

I would register each part separately and use the GVW on each for each registration. FPU is a truck and the rear is a trailer so you will have plates on both.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would register each part separately and use the GVW on each for each registration. FPU is a truck and the rear is a trailer so you will have plates on both.
You raise a good point.

In fact, the FPU, separated from the trailing unit, can be operated independently. As I recall from other SS Forum discussions, the rear axle of the FPU can be "pinned" or de-coupled from its steering function for maneuvering around a motorpool. I also recall that without the trailer they "see-saw" so, although POSSIBLE, you really wouldn't want to operate the FPU on the streets without some weight following it.
I'm thinking that Wreckerman893 (aka: WM or simply Wreckerman) has some wild experience loading Mk-4 FPUs and unloading them too. I'm sure it's a rollercoaster ride up or down a ramp seated forward of the steer axle of a very short and poorly balanced "truck".

HEEEE-HAWWWW ! ! ! !

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You raise a good point.

In fact, the FPU, separated from the trailing unit, can be operated independently. As I recall from other SS Forum discussions, the rear axle of the FPU can be "pinned" or de-coupled from its steering function for maneuvering around a motorpool. I also recall that without the trailer they "see-saw" so, although POSSIBLE, you really wouldn't want to operate the FPU on the streets without some weight following it.
I'm thinking that Wreckerman893 (aka: WM or simply Wreckerman) has some wild experience loading Mk-4 FPUs and unloading them too. I'm sure it's a rollercoaster ride up or down a ramp seated forward of the steer axle of a very short and poorly balanced "truck".

HEEEE-HAWWWW ! ! ! !
There is a lockout function on the rear axle of the FPU to keep the front from 'doing a bow' when stopping/going down a slope/etc. The bar to keep the rear wheels from moving while turning is a separate function, but also very useful!

Spdracr

I have talked to Oshkosh on this matter of the VIN. They tell me that the number 10T9P1B2 is the first eight digits and I have seen these numbers on other MK48's. They told me that the VIN would be on the frame next to the front left wheel. Every tag on this thing has been changed over when they "remanufactured" in 2011. All the other tags have the USMC number 550846. Which adding these two together do not get me 17 digits and the man at Oshkosh said the VIN does have 17 digits. Any one have any ideas or experience with this?

Spdracr

He doesn't do USMC trucks. This was MC truck. I am stumped and really don't know where to go from here. The USMC number should be recorded somewhere in a file or computer and match up to a VIN somewhere. I just need someone with that kind of access. I never dreamed it would be this hard to title and tag it. I would have thought that when I bought it thru GOVPlanet that they would have the info and not expected me to get it from the truck and give it back to them.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
He doesn't do USMC trucks. This was MC truck. I am stumped and really don't know where to go from here. The USMC number should be recorded somewhere in a file or computer and match up to a VIN somewhere. I just need someone with that kind of access. I never dreamed it would be this hard to title and tag it. I would have thought that when I bought it thru GOVPlanet that they would have the info and not expected me to get it from the truck and give it back to them.
I suppose I wasn't clear in my first response.

I suggest that you bring this to bikeman's attention by posting your situation there. Either he or someone subscribed to the VIN INFO thread might be able to assist you in locating the VIN on your MV.
That thread has a long list of subscribed members - a resource this thread has yet to muster.
Noticing you're a new member here, this might be something about which you were unaware.

Best regards,
John

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks