• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Leaking air assist steering low pressure cut-off valve

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put a NOS air assist steering package on my M35A2 about 1.5 years ago. The low-pressure cut-off valve that you install on the firewall is leaking air, not a lot, but enough.

2016-08-12 09.13.31.jpg 2016-07-03 20.25.19.jpg 2016-07-03 20.25.48.jpg

Is it possible, or "okay" (not going to damage it?) to take the top 4 allen bolts off and add some RTV to try and get it to seal up properly?

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was part of the package that you're supposed to install. It cuts off air assist to the steering at 60 PSI - the same time the low air pressure buzzer comes on. It might be harder to steer but you can still use your brakes!

It's a safety thing.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I said my kit when I should have said on my A3. Wonder if that is a upgrade or someone did not install it on mine from the beginning. As I said I am not going to worry about it. Know if the air went to 60 it would be a good thing that the air assist does not steal what air is left. Me if it started to drop that bad I am looking for a landing strip real quick.

Attachments

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have air assist on mine and it came right out of the guard and no low air cut off on it, my deuce is a early 60's so maybe a later mod.?

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've only ever had the cutoff trigger at low speed maneuvers, never when rolling down the road, changing lanes, turning, etc. One valve in the new drag link likes to dump air when steering left until you roll it back to the right slightly.

ANYWAY, I opened it up and RTV'd the top, outer lip and bolts. It still leaks slightly out of the top, center set screw, but whatever I guess. While I had it off, I added a split off and manual valve for the HEMTT air ride seat I'm installing. I wanted the ability to be able to shut off the air-assist steering and the air ride seat independently from each other. However, it make the whole monstrous assembly stick over too far and I'll have to move my drive train vent manifold.

2016-08-13 14.56.29.jpg 2016-08-13 14.58.37.jpg 2016-08-13 15.00.12.jpg 2016-08-13 15.00.19.jpg 2016-08-13 15.36.45.jpg

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If memory serves me, they are not very expensive, might look into just swapping in a new one. It is not a military only item, but I think erics had them for 25 bucks- less at napa. The air leaking thing really sucks. Mine was doing it and I put a new drag link (the air assist's brain)on and it didn't fix it. Now I know I need to pull the cylinder to work on.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I looked on Erik's and there isn't an exact match to this unit, only ones with different fittings and lower & higher air level cut-offs. Neither of those changes are what I want. This one still works great, but slowly leaks air.

After I sealed the top with RTV, the air assist stopped working. Not surprisingly, I suppose, there was just enough RTV on the inside to interfere with its operations and stuck the low-air pressure cut-off in the off position. So I took it off the truck again, removed all the RTV, and reinstalled. Might actually leak worse but it's just bubbling the soapy water, not spraying or hissing a jet of air or anything. Eh, oh well. I could probably make a rubberized cork gasket, but that would interfere with the spacing on the center set screw and I don't want to mess with it. The good news is when I reinstalled it, I tightened fittings more and there is basically no longer interference problems with my drive-train breather manifold on the firewall. I'll take pluses where I can get them!

2016-09-14 19.38.54.jpg 2016-09-14 20.31.07.jpg

Last edited: