• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A2 Trailer Bearings - Question about Packing at the Site

Hey All,

I am heading to pick up a trailer and I have a question about grease and wheel bearings.

I know these trailers have been sitting in the environment for a long while. I have a long drive back, so I'm concerned about the grease for the wheelbearings.

How difficult would it be to repack the wheel bearings at the Pick Up site before making a drive back.

Would I need any special tools? Impact Gun or ???

I read the TM .PDF and understood "most of it", but I've never done a bearing back on a M101A2 trailer and don't know if it is something an idiot (that would be me) could do in a parking lot... Otherwise I may have to rent a trailer to tow my trailer home...

Any and all insight and information is hugely appreciated!

BIGGERHAMMERTX

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Usually they are good to go. As long as the hand brakes aren't locked, they are simple to repack. Basic hand tools will work. Big adjustable wrench helps.

DeadParrot

If you decide to repack, make sure you understand what 'snug' means. When I pulled the bearings on my M101A1, one side had been installed by someone who's last name was probably Hercules. They had partially collapsed one of the bearing cages. I discovered this after the 20 mile drive home from the local Guard base. Fortunately, no damage was done to the races on that side.

Make sure you verify what fluid is in the brake system. Adding DOT3 to a DOT5 system or vice/versa generates a new project called Complete Flush of Brake System.

Make sure the pick up site is OK with you doing an on site repack.

86m1028

They are really no different than any other trailer axle, simple to do.
Most places dont let you work on them there but you can find a parking lot near by & check them out.
Id be more worried about tire pressure than wheel bearing issues.
You asked how I load my trailers, roll them on backwards & stack them.
My trailers all have 9000 winches on them.
I have hauled 5 at a time with an 18ft trailer (4 on it & 1 pulled behind).

I have 3 to pull Texarkana to Houston so getting three on the trailer instead of two is a huge plus. How did you get the tongues up? Two or three strong guys to lift it? I'm pretty stout and strong and lifting the tongue end to drop it in a pintel isn't easy, much less going over head.

Guess then roll the next trailer under while the first is up tongue up? How many folks you need to load that style?

How do you keep the end trailer's tongue upward? Brace or some form of support for it to rest on or ???

Thanks for any and all help!

Sorry to ask in the tread, but your IM box is full.

BIGGERHAMMERTX.

Last edited:

86m1028

I have 3 to pull Texarkana to Houston so getting three on the trailer instead of two is a huge plus. How did you get the tongues up? Two or three strong guys to lift it? I'm pretty stout and strong and lifting the tongue end to drop it in a pintel isn't easy, much less going over head.

Guess then roll the next trailer under while the first is up tongue up? How many folks you need to load that style?

How do you keep the end trailer's tongue upward? Brace or some form of support for it to rest on or ???

BIGGERHAMMERTX.
I lift them up by hand (by myself) place a temp brace (2x4) to hold it until I get a chain on the back of the trailer.
Once chained, remove 2x4, push next trailer up, under the 1st one, chain it & repeat.
You should have no problems loading first 2 by yourself, the third one will require a little help.
You will need to remove bows, sides & place them in each trailer.
I use 2 chains per trailer. I tend to work better (get more done) by myself than with helpers.

If it's your 1st time to rrad, get there early for background check & remember no "personal defense items" with you, in the truck (they no longer have storage lockers) while on base.
Entrance is closer to New Boston than Hooks.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter

BIGGERHAMMERTX.
So you have to pickup 3? I've got one up there that needs to come down this way as well.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
At Texarkana Hooks there was a guy doing just that. Repacking bearings and checking brakes.
Lot guy had no issue with this whatsoever, but did have him move to a corner of the lot that was out of the way.

I trailered mine and luckily so since on one side the bearings were shot.

Two other guys showed up to get their trailers and both were towing them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks