• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another kroctec Ride

kroctec

Hi Guys,
I expect this will ride will catch a few eyes.
Built for the British military it is a '63 Smiths of Rodley all terrain crane with lift capacity of 10 tons static lifting direct off the rubber or 8 tons with travel. Power for everything is from a Rolls Royce straight 8 diesel of 995 cubic inches through Clarke International drive train to drive steer axles (rigid front and swing on the rear) with 24 inch diameter disk brakes. Tires are 24.00 x 29 and 24 ply. Road speed is 45 mph and performance off road is just crazy. It was designed to work in 6 feet 6 inches of water and will take a further 2 feet of wave/spray. I have owned this machine since 1981, it was the 2nd of 3 prototypes to be built (there were 36 production machines built and as far as I know none remain in service)

Crane is 28 feet long, 10 feet 6 inches wide and weighs 32 tons.

Attachments

kroctec

Crane looks much the same as it remains unmodified since I bought it. It was repainted and is pretty much greased up in all the right places, fires up on the button even after long time standing.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very interesting Dave! I could use that here in the yard but doubt if I could figure out how to start it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks