• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

block heater

Feal318000

IMG_3950.jpghi guys, my m1078 has started with a touch of the button all summer. Two weeks ago (around 25 degrees) it started.....but with a good 3-4 seconds of holding the button. Typical diesel engine, i guess. So today i installed a 1000w block heater. Simple job, it took longer to drain the coolant than install the heater. Do any of you guys have past experience with these? Cold starting made easier? I understand the tranny isn't warm with this mod, but am hoping the engine starts a bit easier. I will find out in the morning, what i am up against, (starting the beast) but was just seeing if any of you guys have opinions on these. Sorry for the dark picture....

sjohn116

Which way did you orient the heating element (what degree/time is the element pointed towards)? I have the same element that I need to install. How many gallons of coolant did you drain before popping out the freeze plug, and did you just use a punch and hammer to do the job?

Feal318000

element is at 12 oclock, cant go any other way, really. i bought 3 new 5 gallon buckets (clean), and probably drained about 11-12 gallons from the petcock on the bottom of the radiator. And when i popped the freeze plug out, maybe 2-3 oz. were lost. a regular screwdriver, pliers, and a small hammer worked perfectly to pop out the freeze plug. Lubed up the o ring, and cranked down the allen head bolt on the heater to 25 lbs. poured the coolant back into the overflow tank, and wallah. i just went out to touch the block, (hasn't run in over 3 hours at 30 degrees outside) and, either side of the block is VERY hot. I dont think there will be a starting issue tm morning. But,..... to create that heat id imagine it is sucking up a fair amount of electricity. Overall- a very simple project.

sjohn116

Very good write up. 1000w heater is about the same as an oil filled home heater set to medium... You are burning maybe $1.00 warming the block overnight,
Depending on your KWh costs.

Before/after installing the block heater, were/are you not using the ether injection for cold starts? Just curious.

snowtrac nome

We use those heaters exclusively out here in western Alaska. They work well they transfer enough heat to the oil pan that at -20 there is no need to have a pan heater. The trans will warm up faster as the coolant in the trans cooler is already warm. There is a patch heater one could add to the trans oil pan to help cold starts, we just changed to synthetic oil in transmissions and in the last 8 years have had no problems with our md 3020's.

coachgeo

Not sure which of the two discussed is the one Snowtrac is referring too that "they use exclusively" but the Zerostart 350-0030 from the bookstore is only 750watt while the other mentioned previously is said to be 1000 watt

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks