• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Removing house paint over CARC

saltman

So one of my 1028s was either sprayed or rolled with what I am assuming is a latex house paint at some point in its life and I would like to help speed up the process of it running off the truck next time it rains eg. I hit it with the pressure washer. It's on there pretty thick and I was hoping to maybe find a stripper that won't harm the CARC and finally have a drab/camo truck back again. Any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd try a small sandblaster and go over it quick. CARC is hard to remove and latex isn't. It should come right off.

saltman

I thought about maybe getting a quote on soda blasting it off hoping the CARC would not come with it. Really trying to do this on the cheap without causing any unnecessary damage to the rest of the truck. There are a few strippers out there I've seen like citristrip and motsenbockers I thought might not harm the rest of the truck or moldings/glass/etc. and hope they eat off that latex with a little help from a pressure washer.

Chief_919

Very few strippers will affect CARC. The military test to see if a truck was painted with CARC or not was to wipe it with a rage with paint thinner on it and if paint comes off it is not CARC.

Use regular thinner or acetone and it won't affect the CARC at all.

There are environmentally friendly options that also work well, but slower. If you are going to be doing it in the yard where it may run off to the lawn I would use something like this.

NormB

Or this, if you want to remove CARC too: https://www.amazon.com/Citri-Strip-...88380053&sr=8-1&keywords=citrus+paint+remover

I've used this on several parts already and it's fairly fast, definitely will remove carc and primer.

I know, I know, you said you wanted something that won't harm the CARC, but latex paint can be pretty tenacious.

Years ago I took an HVAC grill with about 30 years of primer-paint-paint-repaint-paint again (around 6 layers, I think) 'cause I couldn't find one in the same size and all that paint made that part of my house look like undergraduate/urban apartment slum.

I took it to a friend's gun shop and used his sand blaster with play sand (his specialty was building and refinishing M1919s and sand makes for a slightly rougher finish than glass bead blasting, not so many craters as with carbide media and it's cheap) and after about an hour with very little result - maybe 1-2 square inches of metal exposed - and left it with him to try in his spare time. Week later I went to his shop and he'd gotten maybe another 2 or 3 square inches stripped.

I'd already tried paint strippers before sand blasting. We tried several other paint strippers including the really toxic stuff without any luck. Finally found a supplier and replaced (recycled) the thing for about $20 delivered.

YMMV.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks