• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to test if front axle is working

sidewinder

I was out tonight moving my 5 ton which one set of rear axles have been removed and bed shortened. I was on some ice/snow. Moving in reverse one rear wheel was spinning but the front did noting ( no spinning) Very cold out tonight. I had moved forward up some icy hills in the past and it seemed to work ok but can not tell if front axle was turning. What is happening here. Is front axle not working properly?

jatonka

I think your air valve on the transmission top cover may be sticky or dirty or plugged and is not sending the air to your transfer case to engage the sprag unit into forward or reverse position. You should hear a shush of air when you go from neutral to reverse. and another shush when you come out of reverse. Please always use 1 st gear to start from a stop. JT out

cbvet

I put the front bumper up against an Oak tree, put the T-case in low range, put the trans in first gear. Gave it throttle & eased-out the clutch. The 1400-20's dug in.
Eric
CBVET

sidewinder

Re: RE: How to test if front axle is working

jatonka said:
I think your air valve on the transmission top cover may be sticky or dirty or plugged and is not sending the air to your transfer case to engage the sprag unit into forward or reverse position. You should hear a shush of air when you go from neutral to reverse. and another shush when you come out of reverse. Please always use 1 st gear to start from a stop. JT out
I will check out the valve ontop of Trans. I have noticed that the air seems to hiss out from below the shifter(trans) until the air pressure goes over 60 psi then stops. When air is bleeding down it also starts hissing when air drops below 60psi dont remember if that was normal or OK

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got a big dirt pile on the farm. Every time I buy a deuce I climb the pile till all axles spin. That's how I tell if it's working. The dirt is loose and I'll useually spin out when the back tandems start up the incline or sometimes I'll make it to the top but if the front end isn't pulling it will spin out whenever the front tires hit the base of the incline.