• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1800 miles in 47 hrs. for an M274

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I needed a Mule. Maccus said so.............

So I kept hassling him to sell me his... and he finally said "I won't sell it, but I do want some new toys, so I will trade it to you for this.... and this.. and this... and this...."

I said ok, what else was I supposed to do?

So after we made the trades, we had to get together to actually do the swap. Maccus lives in South Dakota, I live in Georgia. Those 2 states are very far apart. So we decided to meet somewhere around halfway. That ended up being Platte City, Missouri.

871 miles miles from me.

After several aborted missions (weather, sickness, work, etc.) we decided on Memorial Day weekend. On Thursday morning (LOL). I borrowed my buddy's '03 Dodge Cummins/automatic Dually and another buddy's open trailer.

Came home from work Friday, got the trailer hooked up and tried to get some sleep. Got up at midnight and left around 0140. Made it to Platte City (outside Kansas City) at 1430 EST) 1330 CST.

Met Maccus, got the Mule and Dodge truck I bought from Maccus loaded onto my trailer and got all the stuff I hauled to Maccus loaded up onto his truck. We then stood around and talked MV's, went and got dinner and generally tried to stay out of trouble.

I left Sunday morning around 0600 CST (0700 EST). Fueled up and took off.

Got home around 0012 on Monday morning, but I would have been home 45 minutes sooner were it nor for driving around Marietta, Ga. looking at over a dozen gas stations for one that had diesel.

Went to Waffle House for late dinner with g/f and went to bed at 0200. Got up and started unloading.

Had a lot of fun...... 15+ hours in the truck...... Got to meet Maccus (as smart in person as he comes across on SS) and realized I never want to go to Illinois again.

I love the Mule, my Dad and my friend Dave came over today and drove it.... the neighbors stared and probably wondered what the motorized pallet was and the g/f proclaimed her love for it.....

Here are some fun statistics:

Total miles driven: 1801.80
Total time gone from home: 46 hrs 32 mins
Total fuel consumed: 126.614 gallons
Total cost of fuel: $604.46
Total # of vehicles recovered: 2
$1of fuel took me 2.98 miles. Think about that... a dollar to go less than 3 miles. Enjoy the coming economic collapse.

Average unloaded speed: 67.6 mph
Average loaded speed: 56.8 mph
Average overall speed: 61.6 mph

Average unloaded fuel mileage: 15.45 mpg
Average loaded mileage: 13.23 mpg
Average overall mileage: 14.23 mpg

It took about 13 hours to make to Platte City and about 16.25 hours to get home (detour around St. Louis added some mileage).

Here are the pics...........................................

Thanks Maccus! :beer:

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, I need my eyes checked. For a minute I thought the thread was titled "1800 miles in 47 hours IN a M274". I said, WOW, that's a lotta seat time in a mule! And at an average speed of 38 mph, you're moving!

Glad to see you're home safe, congrats on the new toy!

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Awesome Clint, Now you will have to pump NickD for info on the mule his is really a nice one. Glad you both made it home safe and sound. Looks like you need to finish that second garage out back now I didn't know the mule came with a mount for a
Wendys sign...lol

Post some more picts when you get a chance

Kwai

Mules are extremely useful around the shop. Mine isn't all stock so I use it for moving heavy items and as a mobile work bench. Because of the large flat work area it really works well. My rear engine guard is heavier than stock and had a ball hitch on it so I replace that with a receiver mount and a pintle hitch for moving my jeep and M101 trailers around.

chicklin

Hometown

Hey, I live in PC. Didn't realize it was such a landmark :)

I've seen those M35's on I-70 near Concordia. Did you happen to get any prices?

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks for the compliments everyone. I've wanted a Mule for a long time and I am indebted to Maccus for giving me the opportunity to take care of this one. I have really enjoyed it and can't wait to take it to a Rally.

Maddawg, if this thing would go 1800 miles in 47 hours, I'd be using it as a daily driver rofl

Armyman, when I shot that picture, I didn't even think of that. Hmmm...... maybe I need a Wendy's sign as an inside joke for a rally appearance.

chicklin said:
Hey, I live in PC. Didn't realize it was such a landmark :)

I've seen those M35's on I-70 near Concordia. Did you happen to get any prices?
Now see, if you had been posting on the site and coming into the mess tent, you would have been invited to the party!

I didn't get any prices on the those I-70 Deuces. It was about 7am and no one was there. I stopped, snapped a few pics and took off. The winch deuce in the back looked ok, the others were a little on the rough side but one did have what looked like nearly new road tires. All the trucks were fresh GL escapees.

Attachments

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
RE: Re: 1800 miles in 47 hrs. for an M274

So what was wrong with Illinois?

Just busting your chops.
The roads felt like they were paved with sandpaper and the insane amount of speed traps ( I counted a dozen motorcycle cops within about 10 miles) pretty much killed it for me.

I think they should take some of those unregulated taxes (tickets) and spend em on some fresh pavement!

sak00

RE: Re: 1800 miles in 47 hrs. for an M274

Clintoooooooooooo!
Nice Mule. Sounds like you had a good trip and came back with some spoils. How's the Jeep coming along? One day, I want a ride on the mule. Again, congrats and enjoy the hek out of it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks