• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do you say it?

tsmall07

I've heard different things from different people. My friends and I have always said C-U-C-V, but I've heard others call it a CUC-V (kuk-v). How do the guys in the service say it? :)

NewWheeler

I've always said kut-v unless I'm really thinking about it and then I try to pronounce it correctly as kuk-v. In 25 years I've never heard anyone in the military say C-U-C-V.

AJMBLAZER

Honestly...

"the big green Chevy truck".

However since I've been out and actually know something about them (and got one) I either spell it out or use Cut-Vee as that was the slang I heard a bit.

pevrs114

We always called them Kuk-vee's, but I heard them regularly called Kut-vee's also.

Usually, in our unit, the M1009's were called CUCV's and the M1008's were called pickups. <shrug>

jj

My kids call our m-1009; "William". Why? I don't know.Third base! But that's been it's name since the night i drove it home. I keep thinking Gen.Patton had a dog named "Willie", so maybe there is some precedent.

Elwenil

jj said:
My kids call our m-1009; "William". Why? I don't know.Third base! But that's been it's name since the night i drove it home. I keep thinking Gen.Patton had a dog named "Willie", so maybe there is some precedent.
Yes, General George S. Patton did have a bull terrier named Willie.

41cl8m5

The guys at my work call my M1009 the War Wagon. The wife calls it the "POS Mobile" do to the fact that I spend time away from her working on it, and the cost of owning one. When I was in the army the units I was assigned to all said it like "cut-v". I asked one day about it and was told the army works, lives and thrives on acronyms. Not the answer I was looking for, but got the hint to let it be.

southdave

We use to get slut vee is what we called, and we do our damest to advoid them our TOA allowed us to have six packs and they where usally f-350 or 250. they come from whatever command we where working and we had to return them in running order. so we hated them and alpha company types would ride our butt when had to use those DRMO rejects. The fords we had would hold up better.

LanceRobson

We used to have a variety of them around to supplement the humdingers for tasks that didn't involve a lot of cross county work like running errands, plowing snow, providing ambulance support for ranges etc. They were also used for some road trips to keep the wear and tear on the hummers down and because a CUCV was a lot easier to get parts or maintenance work done on it if there was a breakdown while passing through East Begeezus.

Like others above, I never heard one referred to as a C-U-C-V, only kuk-v or, when the distinction was needed, as an m-ten-oh-eight or m-ten-oh-nine, ambulance etc.

Lance

CUCV85

agree completely, 15 years and counting...

We always called them Kuk-vee's, but I heard them regularly called Kut-vee's also.

Usually, in our unit, the M1009's were called CUCV's and the M1008's were called pickups. <shrug>
Exactly CUCV is Kuk Vee - Kuk vee 09 or 10 09 or Kuk vee Blazer
kuk vee 08 or 10 08 or pickup
didn't have dodges so a pickup was CUCV 1008/ 1028
usually told a soldier the one with seats piuckup or the one with ripped canvas with seats HA HA HA
or the 28 with no darn seats - use that one.:grin:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks