• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Garwood Winch drip

wsucougarx

I wanted to test out the seals to see if any needed to replaced before mounting her up. I filled both compartments up on my Garwood 10,000 # winch. It sat on the bench overnight. When I went out I noticed a small wet spot on the Drive side of the winch. It was just under the drum. I noticed a drip on the bottom of the drum itself. So it appears the drum shaft seal needs to be replaced. Now I did fill the entire compartment up to the fill plug w/GL-1. I don't have the fill capacity on the compartment. Does the fluid level go above the drum shaft when filled to recommended capacities ? If it does not then I won't worry about replacing the seal. Please advise.

Barrman

How much are you planning to use the winch? I ask because you can go 3 different directions from where you are now.

1) Seldom use anticipated, put in the proper amounts, see if it leaks and if it does, leave it alone because you will never use it. The oil will be more of a rust preventative than anything else.

2) have no clue on the useage but don't like leaks. Pull it apart, put in new seals, learn how the winch really goes together and fix it right. You might break something else doing this, but you will know it is correct.

3) moderate use and don't want to take it apart. John Deere Cornhead lube. The stuff comes in a tube like grease but breaks down to act like oil. Your winch will be lubed and no drips.

I didn't list out heavy use because if that is your intent, you wouldn't even ask the question since you are busy rebuilding it and you probably need a 20K 5 ton winch anyway.

wsucougarx

I was going to go cheap on this project. However, if I ever need my winch I want her to be good to go. I just ordered the PTO and winch gasket sets last night thru OD. I ended up having to take her apart anyways mostly due to curiosity of what garbage may lie in her. Unbelieveable how much stuff was in there. All the gears look great

jasonjc

emmado22 said:
How bad a leak is it?

I rebuilt mine, all new seals, and I have 1 leak. I'll live with it, it's a seeping leak...
It's just a small one on the drive side. I'll live with it.

Barrman

The winch on my Gasser only leaks the first 5 minutes of use. The rest of the time I use it, no leaks. Sitting for weeks between uses, no leaks. I just get about 4 drops from the passenger side at the drum while it is warming up. I redid it about 18 months ago.

canrac1

I'm just finishing up the rebuild on my Garwood 10k. I got all new seals and gaskets from George at White Owl. He stocks all of them, plus a lot of replacements parts. Anyhow, is there a TM that specifies torque specs for reassembly? I know the end cover and brake box are aluminum and I don't want to tweak em. If there are specs, please point me in the right direction. I can do common sense tightening too...but then I couldn't play with the torque wrench! :twisted:

divedigger

winch ID

I have a winch that I am trying to ID. It is OD green, has a 1 and 1/2 inch PTO shaft, drum is 12 x 16 long housing is 28 w x 16 tall with the #s on the worm gear case GW over C7954484 and 3004519 It looks like 5/8 rope size. I was told it was a 20,000# Garwood. It is missing the 3 roller fairleads bolted to the front. Any help IDing this winch would be greatly appreacited! Thanks Steve in Tennessee

DanMartin

Steve, the 5/8" cable should indicate a 20K winch. Posting a few pics will help us ID it further (there are several types found on trucks and wreckers, so we'll need to see it to make a real identification).

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Canrac1, I just spoke to George. He has the part I needed for a great Price! Thanks for the lead! I reccomend White owl to anyone for parts.

dburt

Thanks for the tip on the JD Cornhead grease Barrman! I have a leak on the passenger side, and don't really want to take it apart and replace the seal, and have it still leak. I have been wondering what to do, so off to Big Green to get the grease!

A

A/C Cages

To whom is this white owl? You are reffering to. I have a Garwood 10K I need rebuilding also. Can someone tell me where I can get the rebuild parts?