• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cold Start Switch on lower left dash

Somemedic

How do I work it, wat does it do, how do I know if its working?

Id search it if I really wat it was called as the label data plate is too faded to read.

mangus580

RE: Re: Cold Start Switch on lower left dash

If you really dont know what a switch does in your truck, you REALLY should read your TM's, the -10 is equivalent to an owners manual....

Somemedic

Gents, my apologies. I should have been a bit more clear...

I really wasnt sure if the switch was part of the ether cold start or not. After looking around in the TM I did find what I was looking for. FYI, if the truck has a mystery switch I dont start monkeying with it til Im sure its not an eject button. You mother hens worry about little ol me too much. You forget I see alot of folks who cant control their curriosity so they end up shoving something in a lite socket and eventually have to call for an ambulance.

TM 9-2320-361-10
2-15. COLD WEATHER STARTING (BELOW +20°F) (-6.7°C)
a. Perform steps a. through 1. in para. 2-14.
CAUTION
Ž Do not press start button for more than 10 seconds at any
time or with headlight on. If engine does not start in
10 seconds, wait 10 top 15 seconds before pressing start
button again. Failure to do this may result in damage
to starter.
Ž Do not operate manifold heater unless engine is idling rough
or being cranked. Doing this may result in damage to engine.
b. Turn manifold heater switch (2) to ON and press start button (1) until
engine starts.
c. Release clutch pedal (7) and turn manifold heater switch (2) to OFF.
d. Perform steps o. and p. in para. 2-14.
NOTE
If engine does not run smoothly after starting, turn manifold
heater switch to ON for 10 seconds, then turn to OFF. Wait
10 seconds and repeat until engine runs smoothly.

So do these things work worth a damn or are they just a failure prone device to pull off/throw away? Im assuming dont be spraying ether into the air intake while using the heater...?

SouthTexasDiesel

I've got the same switch on my truck, and I've got one question. I've read the TM's and know what you only move it to on when the engine is being cranked. Does your switch stay in the on position, or do you have to hold it there? Mine just springs back when it's released. I don't know if this is some type of failsafe to prevent engine damage, or if mine is malfunctioning.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

The momentary contact toggle switch is the same for the "flame heater" and the ether start system.
The original cold weather starting system is the intake manifold heater, which uses a spark igniter to keep a mist of diesel fuel from a nozzle burning. This flame warms the incoming air to help start the engine. It is only to be used while cranking and sparingly since it also uses oxygen. The igniter and fuel pump remains on as long as switch is held in "ON" position. You don't really know if its working unless some kind of flame monitoring system has been installed....

Later, the ether start system was installed. It uses the same switch with a different label. It has a solenoid valve screwed onto an ether bottle. The solenoid portions a small amount of ether (6 cc) each time the switch is moved to the "ON" position. The ether is injected into the intake manifold. There is also a thermostat switch which disables the ether start system for temps above 20°F. Use only while cranking.

jasonjc

Yup Them "Mystery" switches.... SomeMedic and.....I needed to know. Is the apararus in the manifold a Spark plug ? or ? please refer to somewhere to find an illustration. Pictures are worth a million.
There is a spark plug and a fule injection nozzle in the mainifold and a fuel pump ans coil on top of the eng.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Wow Bijorn , a picture is worth a thousand words! Thanks for taking the time to get a great shot!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So even if it is still labled flame heater if you have the ether start kit, the flame heater is no longer connected??
I'd make sure the flame heater isn't working before I hit the ether switch. I don't know for sure what would happen if you used both at the same time but I bet there would be some sort explosion :shock:.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The flame heater nozzle on my truck was leaking fuel wnenever the engine was running. This caused the flame heater not to work because it didn't spray right. The spark plug was wet, but it would never ignite the fuel. Need a new nozzle?

The old coil was also bad. I replaced the coil, and get a good spark at the coil and at the plug end of the cable, but none of several plugs I tried seem to make a very good spark. How weird is that?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The spark plug is grounded via the spark plug cable...make sure it's okay by testing it when unscrewed so that you can visually observe it. Gap should be 1/10th of an inch.

dabtl

If it ever gets cold enough here to need that to assist the starting, it will be too cold for me to care.

My truck is used here in the parade season, May through November. It has no other use than to amuse me, occupy my off hours and to hone my mechanical skills. My son uses one or the other from time to time for Vietnam re-enactments.

But, when it is 20 degrees outside, God meant for man to stay around the fire not drive.
:roll:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For me it's more of having working systems on board. I find it challenging and a learning experience to get some of those special devices to work. For example, I don't exactly anticipate ever to use the fuel burning coolant/engine heater "for real", but love to work on it and finding the right parts etc.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks