• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch line questions

coyotegray

Has anyone replaced the 1/2" line on a Deuce with 3/8" line..?
Any problems with doing this..?

Has anyone used synthetic winch line..?

Thanks,
C.g....

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
dont do it

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
don't do it

Crash_AF

Don't do which? The 3/8 or the Synth?

I fully agree with the don't downgrade the size of cable, but I like the synthetic winch line I've got on all my Jeeps. I might even put some on my 936 front winch when I get it put back on. Properly rated synthetic line of course...

Later,
Joe

DanMartin

The Synth stuff is vunerable to UV damage (unless you get the ugly brown stuff, and then it's only partly protected).

Nominal strength on the 6x19 1/2" wire rope is 23K lbs, the same 3/8" wire rope is nearly half that at 13.1K lbs. Stick with a good 1/2" 6x19 fiber core wire rope (what the military used).

Don't believe the 10K rating of the stock winch....they are sandbagged by about 50% at least.

buccaneer

Ah Ha! Since we're on the topics of winches... I had wondered about the 10K rating on a 13-14K vehicle...

I will soon mount one on a deuce, and was looking for some real world experience with winching a deuce..

So, Mangus, you gotta tell us a story now! (oh yeah, pictures too...)

BTW, I wouldn't downgrade to 3/8" line.... However Warn puts 3/8 inch line on their M12000 winches I believe.

Corey

Last edited:

Elwenil

Another bad thing about synthetic winch rope is it's lack of abrasion resistance. Most of the rock crawlers I know replace their winch rope every year due to abrasion and exposure to the sun. I don't it would be very cost effective on a MV, especially considering how most are used somewhat infrequently. A wire rope still needs maintenance and inspection but not nearly as often as synthetic rope. Not to mention the usual plus sides to swapping to winch rope (lighter weight, more capacity, safety) don't apply as much with a MV. If you aren't for hauling heavy stuff like the wore rope around, you probably wouldn't own a MV. The MV winches generally have a lot more wire rope on the spool than any of the commercially available winches. And while safety is always a great thing, I would think there is less risk in operating a MV winch from inside the cab than from outside the truck on a little remote and I hope we have better sense than most of the average off roaders who for some reason, love to stand in the path of a breaking cable to watch the winch recovery.

Oh and there is absolutely no comparison between a industrial strength worm drive winch and the commercial crap Warn and other's put out. My almost 50 year old 8k lbs rated Braden electric worm drive winch will easily out pull ANY of Warn's winches, even the ones rated at twice the Braden's capacity. They simply do not make them the way they used to. Also, if you check a lot of commercial winches, the wire rope that comes on them from the manufacturer is not even up to the weight the winch is rated for in a lot of cases, the largest units especially.

Last edited:

coyotegray

I appreciate the info and opinions...

I asked about the 3\8" line since I have access it some at a good price and I’m already setup with snatch blocks, etc for it... It's also easier to find the synthetic line in 3\8".

I really like the safety aspect of the synthetic line. I’m willing to pay $$$ for that. I would not mind making the modifications necessary and babying it to gain the safety.

I think synthetic is even available in 1/2" and from what I have read it's breaking strength is greater that that of steel wire rope of the same diameter.

I would swear I have seen a new military tow truck that had yellow "I’m assuming synthetic" winch line on it....

If I do end up doing the synthetic Ill post my results....

Thanks,
C.g.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks