• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 Mine Protected Vehicle

GoldComet6

Here is a listing about a rebuilt Deuce: the book says this M35 Mine Protected Vehlcle was developed by AM General, the Jordanian government and a South African company in 1999. It has a Cat 3116 diesel (170 hp) with an auto tranny, bullet proof glass and lots of armor! Weight 8.8 tons, speed and range "not revealed".

i've never seen a picture of one in use, so were they actually produced?

Attachments

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They replaced the cab, and looks raised, that may make enough room for a longer engine. Really cool looking truck.

GoldComet6

I found this on the web - not much info though.

Jordan's economic mine-protected transport

Article Abstract:
National Resources Development Co., a Jordan-based company, in partnership with the country's armed forces and in association with US-based AM General and South Africa-based Mechem, has come up with the ESP M35 armored vehicle, an economic mine-protected personnel or logistics transport. The vehicle is built around the chassis of the M35 2.5-tonne-capacity cargo truck, enhanced with AM General's extended service plan automotive improvement package and mine-proof crew and passenger compartments from Mechem. Sales of the vehicles to other countries will depend upon US approval for the provision of ESP kits.
author: Pengelley, Rupert
Publisher: Jane's Information Group
Publication Name: International Defense Review
Subject: Business, international
ISSN: 0020-6512
Year: 1998

67Cougar

I think the A3's look funny. The cat is cool and all but can it run anything you put in the tank like used oil, biofuels, etc.

Give me a multi-fuel!

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know if you could it fit the engine and radiator in the normal hood, even if you moved the firewall back. Unless they used a different radiator, maybe a thicker core. Very interesting! I noticed that the bed has a sloped floor, but the cab is still woefully open to underside blasts. Maybe a much cheaper alternative, but not quite as effective.

Looks to me like the ONLY thing that is M35 based is the chassis and front clip. I'd almost bet the underside of the cab is vee'd out, more or less set down into the frame. The driver's position is probably about a foot to two feet back from normal. Be interesting to see a side by side with a stock M35.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
hmm, after taking another look it does seem that the cab is Veed, with a blast vent above the ladder under the door. Very neat to say the least.

Does this mean they will start shipping M35s over to Iraq and quite selling them here?

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

saddamsnightmare

December 20th, 2008.

Someone send a copy of this to TACOM, as the M35 is fully capable of conversion and they survived some serious mine hits in Vietnam and were able to be rebuilt..... Of course, Iraqi IED's must be much larger then what the Jordanians expect to hit..... The principle is the same as in the newer MRAP's and the South African Buffalo wasn't too much different except for the V bottom from a standard deuce. A five or ten ton would be a much better base for the project, BUT the taxpayers should get more for the M35A2 and M35A3's then we are currently recieving from other governments (and US, I might add....). I'm not gonna be popular, but the deuce was, and is, one nearly indestructible basic platform, as is her descendents the 5 & 10 ton trucks in that series.:razz:

Have a happy Holiday season cruising the 'hood in your MRAP M35A2:twisted:

Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare":-D
1968 Johnson Corp M105A2:roll:
1963 Swiss Army Cargo Unimog:razz:
1967 Hercules MEP023A Gas Gen-Set APU:idea:

joec

Looks to me like the ONLY thing that is M35 based is the chassis and front clip. I'd almost bet the underside of the cab is vee'd out, more or less set down into the frame. The driver's position is probably about a foot to two feet back from normal. Be interesting to see a side by side with a stock M35.

Inside the cab is the same. just added a couple of inches forward and side to side. Hit the pic of the A3 you will see a strip added to the center of the hood. then there is one on the back of the hood.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks