• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35a2c clogged fuel system

dpsmith

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just bought my first M35a2c from GL at Warner Robins AFB. Its a 86 Air Force truck. with 9k miles and 400 hours. I found that the fuel system was stopped up with crude. I took the tank off cleaned the pump screen and all slude off the bottom. changed all the fuel filters also. The problem is the truck will start when cold but rpm's climb to over 2000 and will slowly drop about 10 sec's later and then quits running. Will not start for a couple of hours only to repeat same problems. I have bled all the fuel filters and checked all of the cables and have run out of ideas!?!

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just give it to me, it's totally broke.

Did you change 3 filters, and not just the 2 on the engine? You mean engine goes to 2000 without you pushing the pedal? Sounds like a fuel starvation issue, and maybe a broken return spring on the pump. could be other things, let us know.

Dennis

dpsmith

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the reply. No I didn't blow the lines out but after I cleaned the screen on the tank pump the fuel shoots out of the bleed valves. Think I still need to blow the lines?

dpsmith

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes it goes almost to the red line without hitting the pedal. when the idle drops the throttle has no effect almost like its unhooked (but its not). I changed all three filters and put clean fuel in the tank....

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Ehh, I'd wait for more experianced guys to chime in. I thought about it, and it might just not run with a stuck plunger. I'd hate to put you through alot of work for nothing. There is a cover under the IP head, if you open that up, does that linkage move freely? I will be back in a min with a pic.

dpsmith

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks...a picture is worth 10,000 words....I will check at first light. should it move fairly easy or have alot of tension? thanks again

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just worked on the same problem. The fuel system had sludge in it. After
cleaning the tank, filters etc, I also had the 2000 rpm then dying problem

I suspected the IP timing was off, so I removed the IP pump. I wanted to make sure everything was installed correctly.

Remove the cover on the the fuel cutoff and check the movement of the linkage just like Gimpy showed you. The fuel cutoff is probably sticking shut. It should move freely.

Turned out that that my Fuel Control Rod was gummed up. You should remove the Hydralic Head and clean the fuel passages. The instructions are in the IP manual TM9-2910-226-34 and the LDS Troubleshooting manual. You can remove the head without removing the whole pump.

Also clean the Overflow valve on the injector pump and the bypass valve on the secondary/final fuel filters as they are problably gummed up as well.

If you have specific questions PM me.

Warthog

Last edited:

Alredneck

Banned
Man, wheres the the 3rd filter at ( the lil one thats supposed to be on the frame right )? Me and Woody have looked all under both are trucks and cant find that son of a gun! Not meaning to highjack!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man, wheres the the 3rd filter at ( the lil one thats supposed to be on the frame right )? Me and Woody have looked all under both are trucks and cant find that son of a gun! Not meaning to highjack!

The 3rd(is actually the 1st, it's the primary filter) is under the generator/alternator, mounted on the inside of the frame rail.

Dpsmith, did you change all 3 fuel filters? You need to to be sure they are not plugged. If you had gummed fuel in the tank, I would expect the filters to be the same. While you have them off, blow out your lines with compressed air. After doing all this, if it still has a problem, look at the ip for sticking.

Last edited:

dpsmith

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes Sir I did change all three filters and you were right they all were varnished up inside. I went back this morning and blew out the lines I think they were ok but at least now I'm getting good clean fuel to the top. seems to have good pressure. I moving on now to the IP will let you know what I find. Cold outside today and I'm moving slow...Thanks for yall's help..