• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spare tire on front

Yea or Nay?

• Yea- that looks killer

Votes: 19 33.9%
  • Nay- that looks like it'd kill someone.

Votes: 37 66.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good.
One issue is reduced airflow through your radiator. Buddy of mine mounted his there, his truck immediately started overheating (it was during the summer). Took the tire off, no more problems.

Cheers

Last edited:

appalacious

One issue is reduced airflow through your radiator. Buddy of mine mounted his there, his truck immediately started overheating (it was during the summer). Took the tire off, no more problems.
was that on a cucv?
J

ida34

I know GA might not have experience with this but even in below freezing weather a truck with a plow on it will over heat with the plow on the front. One must angle the plow or lower it enough to provide the airflow while on the freeway. This is in the winter. I would bet on an overheat condition in the Georgia summer. I like the look but you are basically running a radiator cover all the time.

DooDooBrown

For military use, you would not place a tire there because it hinders ramming blocked vehicles from your path. You get a bounce instead of a solid push.

mangus580

I know GA might not have experience with this but even in below freezing weather a truck with a plow on it will over heat with the plow on the front. One must angle the plow or lower it enough to provide the airflow while on the freeway. This is in the winter. I would bet on an overheat condition in the Georgia summer. I like the look but you are basically running a radiator cover all the time.
I wish I had that problem with my 1009!!

I have the winter front on... and the plow... and I still cant get it warm!

rofl

Oddly, I ran my winter front all summer last year....

uoa

Put it on the top! I think it might look better, mabey bring us a mock-up picture. On the top, close to the back. Thats my vote.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, it isn't a CUCV but, I used to carry my spare up front while hauling a camper, hauling up to 6 horses and never had any cooling problems. Also on my plow trucks cooling wasn't a problem either because I unhooked the spring on the fan clutch every winter when using my plow.

Attachments

appalacious

Man, this is starting to even up. I appreciate that old school photo with the camper. I haven't found anything similar on google image searches. That kinda surprised me.
J

HeadWizard

I wish I had that problem with my 1009!!

I have the winter front on... and the plow... and I still cant get it warm!

rofl

Oddly, I ran my winter front all summer last year....
That makes about no sense. Thermostat bad? Yeah, I know you checked it already.... shut up and mind my own business :grin:

ida34

The key to my statement was guys driving on the freeway. Most do not drive plow trucks at freeway speeds. My M1009 would put out great heat. Yours must be defective. Trade it in or I could sell you mine. It has new floor boards and rocker on the driver's side. :driver:

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man, this is starting to even up. I appreciate that old school photo with the camper. I haven't found anything similar on google image searches. That kinda surprised me.
J
I used to move that mount truck to truck whenever I got a new one. It freed up bedspace, and the hitch I had didn't allow for an under the truck bed carrier.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks