• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Top Speed/MPG Question

86M10086.2L

Well, I've been driving my 1008 almost everyday to work @ 100 mile round trip, and 50-55 mph and 16 mpg is getting a little old. But I did however realize that I really enjoy driving it. More so then my 2001 6spd Z28. So I think it may finally be the time to ditch the Camaro and get a M1009. I'm reasonably familiar with them, but the main thing I want to know is what kinda MPG you guys that are drving them get, and whats a safe top speed for them. What kinda mpg do you get doing 65-70 on the highway? can they handle 70-75 mph? How many rpm's are we looking at in the 65-75 mph range? I usually top out at about 25-2600 in the 1008 which is about 50. I see there are a few M1009 abvailable in my area. But before I give my car up I need to know what I can get with a M1009 is at least close to what I'm driving now. If i could get 22-25 with a M1009 without going downhill at 40 mph with a tailwind I think I'll do it. I know these trucks turn some failry impressive numbers for a fullsize 4WD truck with the 6.2L diesel and the 3.08:1 gear ratio. I get anywhere from 25-30 mpg on the highway with my Camaro and yes it's a V8. I'm not a big speeder so thats how I get the good mileage. Eventually a gear vendors unit will go in the 1008 but even still the M1009's are more practical as a daily driver. This would also allow me to modify/work the 1008 like I want. Any thoughts or info would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm still waiting for the EUC to clear on mine so I don't really have any practical experience but have been told to expect around 20mpg and 60-65mph would be fine. The 1009 is geared much better for hiway speeds than the 1008. I've had more than one person tell me the 1009 is the best road driving military vehicle built. It may not be as much fun but supposed to be the closest to cruising in a civilian vehicle.

TenTires

A friend of mine just got back from a 3 state trip this past weekend and he said he was getting 20 mpg the whole time. You might want to check your calipers and see if they are dragging or see if you have got a bad wheel bearing. It seems like every vehicle that I buy has this problem and I end up replacing the whole chassis brake system. I had a 91 Mighty Max with that problem and I got a little over 5 mpg back after I changed that stuff out. Worth a shot.2cents

dmc-4359

Mine will get up to 75-80 with no worries, however I'm only seeing about 15mpg out of it. Thats with eight brand new injectors and 33X12.5 tires.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine M1009 was always around 20mpg. You could cruise at 70 on the highway no problem. People will still confuse the 1009 with just another hunting truck.

AJMBLAZER

So just to drag this back up what mpg do you M1009 owners see around town? Speeds no higher than 55mph. I'm starting to think about getting rid of my Tracker for something with more space for the wife and dogs and I on longer trips.

IRWFO

I use mine back and forth to work every day. It's about a 15min ride each way. Plus a few hours of driving on the weekends. I fill up every other week and it's usually around 17 or so gal to top it off. My truck blows away every truck owner I know when it comes to MPG's.

dunedigger

I havn't had mine over 70 and don't intend too. I like driving it around 65 on the freeway. I was getting 18.9 on a long trip going 65. When I got home I realized I left the front hubs locked in. I'm sure that didn't help. I can't wait to get out again with warmer temps and see how it does. I get around 20 locally too.

joeypushjr1

well as far as to what i can get out of mine i forget the caculation. but with mine im getting about 350-385 miles out of a tank... thats depending on how and where i drive it but i average 365 on a tank i also have the banks sidwinder turbo system on her. that comes with turbo and full exhaust so she breaths much better with the better air filter and higher flow muler and 3.5inch exhaust...... my 2cents

justinwregier

I have had my M1009 about 5 weeks now as a daily driver (40+miles a day) and I have gotten above 75mph a few times, given a good distance to get going. There are others I have read of on this site that have pushed mid 80s. Normal driving though I aim for 55-60mph, pushin just above where 3 gear takes over which yields the 18-20+mpg that I am getting.

Tonight I just swapped in new front calipers and pads and the fuel tank is full so perhaps I can post any improvements in mpg. There is a great statement above in this thread about swapping out the old brakes basically because most of these CUCVs have some dated components. The caliper cylinders will just stick and hug the rotor, causing friction and all sorts of other trouble. Drive for 10 miles or so, stop/get out and then put your hand on the wheels... If you feel any heat there is reason for concern. Of course have the hubs free when not using 4x4. It is not recommended to run locked hubs unless the 4x4 is engaged so double check this before the brake test trip begins.

Also a fuel additive could improve mpg, researching this and applying the results to the tank could be good.

Pardon the rant but a hot wheel is what led to my brake work so perhaps it can help you with your mpg?

Last edited:

AJMBLAZER

Of course have the hubs free when not using 4x4. It is not recommended to run locked hubs unless the 4x4 is engaged so double check this before the brake test trip begins.
Lots of people would disagree with you there. I run my hubs locked all winter. Kinda sucks having to get out and lock them in during the morning commute. People have done it this way since the locking hub came out. Just puts more drag and wear and tear on the system but nothing horrible or catastrophic.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks