• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Disk brakes for the Deuce

red devils dude

if I remember right the problem Pinion Brake's is you can only use them for a parking or ebrake some thing that small would fry
with 6tons of truck going I dont know how fast

Trango

You would likely need pinion brakes on both sides of all axles, on a truck as heavy as ours, in order to not have them be set alight during alot of braking.

The best thing we have going are brakes like these:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=408046

BTW, USA 6x6 has screwed over friends of mine (including another guy here on the forum). I would much rather deal with Steve G over at Differentialeng.com .... he, in fact, is the creator of alot of products that Daniel at 6x6 sells... and yet another supplier that Daniel screwed over in the name of a buck (from what I understand).

Bob

FSBruva

Ditto to what Trango said...

As I recall, a member of the forum mentioned the pinion brake idea to Daniel @ 6x6, and Daniel promptly stole the idea and is now profiting from another's work. Not to mention, he is notorious for delayed/unreliable deliveries.

Maybe an idea is a "Vendor Feedback" section to provide feedback to other members in an organized fashion... # of stars, comments, etc. Hmmm.... new thread in the "Suggestions" board!

Matt

rdixiemiller

Real nice article on setting up front disc brakes. Looks like it would be withing the range of most of us.
Finding the correct booster cylinder would be the biggest challenge, but I imagine there is a big truck unit out there that would work well.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd like to see some spec on the disc brakes. How much can they really take when it counts.
I once figured out that the standard drums on the deuce each can handle up to 12KW of heat dissipation. May be off a little but close to it.
Drums tend to lock up, that's the biggest problem with drum brakes, but require less power to activate, since the "servo" action help with the braking effort.
Most tractor-trailers in this country use drum brakes.

Bjorn

Wyattearp

I agree with bjorn on this one, drums are easier to work with and have been around since the braking system come about, i know they are sometimes a pain but with these trucks being able to ford water and whathave you, i think discs would be a bad idea and i do not know of any dump truck or tandem around here with disc brakes of course i might be wrong... I think also disc warpage would be oh to common with overheating and stress fractures in the disc itself

hot rod deuce

well if anyone is interested a 1997 frightliner FL70 has disks that are 6 bolt rockwell if you get the shuttle bus chassie and have huge calipers that are hydraulic. they use hydro boost as well. My plan is to get 6 rotors and i have 6 AIR DISK calipers off of gas haulers that were replaced with drums because they are 1/2 the cost to rebuild but they use common slack adjusters and pancakes. Then i will have air disks that will stop 20K per axle and a little bit less weight than stock

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
"Sergeant Rock" on "Trucks" has disk brakes. On the show that highlight the 2 1/2 ton axles, it says the rotors are from an international truck that have to be mated to the stock rockwell hub. Then for calipers they use stock ones from an F350. Looks like a nice set up but I'd rather spend my money on something else.

Low-Tech-Redneck

Djfreema said:
"Sergeant Rock" on "Trucks" has disk brakes. On the show that highlight the 2 1/2 ton axles, it says the rotors are from an international truck that have to be mated to the stock rockwell hub. Then for calipers they use stock ones from an F350. Looks like a nice set up but I'd rather spend my money on something else.
I was just about to mention that setup that they had, but I agree with your assessment, it's a "Gee, that's neat" feature that wouldn't be worth the cost if you just drive your deuce in a smart and safe manner and keep your brakes maintained.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drvieline discs are hard on bearings for sure. It's still considered a driveline brake so using it solely is a no-no. My memory sucks here but someone here out in MV land has added a pinion brake in conjuction with the factory brakes. I believe they just tee'd in the hydraaulic line and added a simple adjustable proportioning valve to get the proper (seat of the pants version) brake bias. I have 2 things I do when driving anything and especially a deuce. I leave extra room and I leave an out. Rarely do I travel in a middle lane for obvious reasons. No braking system in the world is a substitute for good old fashion common sense.

red devils dude

Recovry4x4 said:
Drvieline discs are hard on bearings for sure. It's still considered a driveline brake so using it solely is a no-no. My memory sucks here but someone here out in MV land has added a pinion brake in conjuction with the factory brakes. I believe they just tee'd in the hydraaulic line and added a simple adjustable proportioning valve to get the proper (seat of the pants version) brake bias. I have 2 things I do when driving anything and especially a deuce. I leave extra room and I leave an out. Rarely do I travel in a middle lane for obvious reasons. No braking system in the world is a substitute for good old fashion common sense.
I think lance(monster man) had a pinion brake .

rdixiemiller

Discs on the front would be nice, but getting the correct booster cylinder would be a chore. Drums are fine, if properly maintained and adjusted. Discs are a lot easier to inspect and service. I have seen a lot of semi trailers running rear discs, so it must be cheaper to build than a comparable drum setup. One thing about American manufacturers, they have sold us a lot of "improvements" that are really "cost downs" in the manufacturing arena. I have heard discs touted for years as huge improvements over drums, but I think they are really a way to build the vehicle a little cheaper, since there are less parts to build and assemble.
In my years driving almost anything with wheels, I have never seen any real difference between discs and drums as far as stopping power. This assumes, of course, that everything is in good shape. Discs do hold up better than drums, in my opinion. Not needing adjusters is a plus.
Unless someone gives me everything I need to do the swap, I'll leave mine stock.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a big argument about "pinion brakes" (driveline brakes) on the mil-veh list and am not about to start that up again.
If you must have one, remove the interaxle propeller shaft and stick it on the rear axle where it can do its thing on its own. I think that would be marginally safe.
Now, if you have separate control over it, then it should be okay as long as the driver understands how to use it. It then becomes similar to an engine brake.

Bjorn

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks