• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which multi-fuel engine is the best choice?

Lonesome715

If you were to buy a multi fuel engine for a project, which would be the best choice? Listed below if the criteria I would use to select the right engine. I am very new to this subject matter so any input you all have would be appreciated.

1. Maintenance cost
2. Longevity
3. Sensitivity to used engine oil as fuel
4. Simplicity and easy to repair
5. Good for towing
6. Fuel mileage
7. Parts availability
8. High tolerance to power adders and up-grades
9. Simple electrical system
10. Reliability

I should add that I am not familiar with any of the makes and models out there. So feel free to dumb down your answers. I will not be insulted.

grounded

Banned
they are all pretty much the same. but if you must pick outta a LDT or LDS get the LDS hands down... its got more power.. but far as white, continental, hercules.. its like GL. you just gotta roll the dice.

crazyplowboy

According to the Multifuel operators manual the L is liquid cooled, D is Diesel (compression ignition), S is supercharged
LD models do not have a turbosupercharger
LDT motors are turbo motors

Lonesome715

Thank you for clarifing. Why woulf the five tons not have turbos in them. I would think if iether truck needed a power adder it would be the five ton. Is there is a displacement difference between the two? If there is, I do not need one from five ton. It it powered a deuce, that is all I need. I would prefer it be a turbo engine though.

grounded

Banned
5 tons do have turbos on them also.

the 2 1/2 ton some came without turbos. hence the LD. but most of them have the turbo or LDT..

The 5 ton multi are fairly close to the same engine just about 50hp more. im sure someone will chime in here by morning with a full break down thats ALOT smarter then me on these.

Lonesome715

I appreciate the information. That is a lot more than i knew beofre I started this thread. I have to check and see if the decues I bought recently have turbos.

Lonesome715

Speaking of turbos, that brings up some questions.

How big of a turbo can I go on one of these engines with out blowing the head off? I am thinking about upgrading to a little larger wastgated ball bearing turbo.

ALso, who makes the turbos on these engines and what size are they?

grounded

Banned
Im sure someone will correct me if im wrong. but im pretty sure the turbo is not the problem its the IP that you can crank up and end up blowing the engine. I think the stock turbo will handle it all perfectly fine. but then again i remember reading someone putting a 5 ton turbo on the deuce. BUT once again ill let it to the experts as this is my 2cents

crazyplowboy

I also am a newbie to the MV field, but I have read that the turbo was added only to comply with emission regulations (cutting down on smoke) and that the turbo really does not add much power to these beasts. If you look at the HP ratings of a turbo truck versus an NA (naturally aspirated) truck I believe that the turbo puts out 130 HP while the NA puts out 125HP.

Lonesome715

I know these engines are detuned a bit. But from what I know about turbos, they are meant to be a power adder and if used correctly will make a huge difference. But that is from a different stand point for. My experiance comes from trying to draw big power from other applications.

Lonesome715

There you go, that is where I have gotten most of my turbo experiance. I think a bigger turbo would really help these engines breath a lot better.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks