• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help!winch drum lock lever stuck

shootiniron

Just bought a complete take-off winch set up for my truck and today was messing around with it and tried to pull out the drum lock knob to peel the cable off and it wont budge.It looks a bit rusty so I managed to get the poppet nut out sprayed inside along the rod with some break free.Any suggestions or do I just hope the break free does the trick?This thing is stuck.:-x Thanks!

Lex_Ordo

My truck required a lot of the small parts to be loosened with Kroil. It is similar to liquid wrench. I was told that the electric companies use it to work on high tension lines.

Anyway, it is really great stuff. Loosens everything. If not, the nut unscrews and the poppet comes right out to replace.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
rock the drum itself back and forth a bit while tapping gently on the rod. See if that loosens it up. Sometimes they are gummed up with grease/rust/dirt. I also vote for liberal amounts of penetrating oil..

If that doesnt work, and your going to replace the wire rope anyway, start cutting off the wire rope and eventually you'll see the end of the rod, and be able to work on it from the other end. One good hit with a punch and it should come out.

Keep us posted.

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

If that doesnt work, and your going to replace the wire rope anyway, start cutting off the wire rope and eventually you'll see the end of the rod, and be able to work on it from the other end. One good hit with a punch and it should come out.

I'm afraid that this is not possible, normally the drum's face is not drilled all the way through!
Yours must be a very special version then.....!?:smile:

G.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have seen spools(drums) with both, through holes and not through. I have observed that the older winches I have, have the hole all the way through.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting observation on the winch "holes".. Mine has them.

If your going to add the winch, perhaps now is a good time to redo the seals, which will let you get a good understanding of how the winch works internally..

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting observation on the winch "holes".. Mine has them.

Yes! And always learning......:grin:!

Somebody (in the military?) already must have found out that that was a practical upgrade...... maybe to un-stuck a frozen or broken lockbolt???? (IF you can manage to unspool the rope.....:smile:
BTW, I've half a dozen, very old and not so old ones, even one depot rebuilt: NO holes visible.

G.

MAZ537

Also one more small difference between the drums :
Drilled through drums have only six holes , non-through drilled have twelve...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks