• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton pinion brake

area52

In addition to the regular brakes, I think this would help you stop faster but not as a stand alone setup - no way

I agree with Firefighter - you can go to the junkyard and get all the parts for about 1/3 of that price.

DeuceNewb

if you tried to use that for regular braking you would have that rotor glowing red from the first stop. We've got a wrangler around here on 2.5tons and pinion brakes with 42" tires and the braking is too hard to make it enjoyable for the road, plus you can smell the brakes getting super hot, and that's a much lighter vehicle

tsmall07

I'd want a mechanically engaged brake for a parking brake, and I think you'd have trouble finding a mechanical caliper big enough.

DEFINITELY wouldn't pay that much for a setup. It is pretty easy to fab a bracket for a disk caliper.

Last edited:

wdbtchr

As I said in my first message I'm looking for a better PARKING brake, and the M51 has the same brakes as an M35, air over hydraulic. The mechanical parking brake won't hold while dumping on a hill even with new parts, I've already redone the parking brake.

The problem isn't the calipher and mount, it's the rotor. I've looked for off the shelf parts for the rotor and no luck.

As far as the price I didn't plan on paying that much. Give them a while and they'll have to drop the price to a reasonable level or go out of business.

I was thinking of using something like a porta-power to activate the caliper rather than a mechanical source.

Last edited: