• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Head board crane

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Probably. I contacted the manufacturer for more information on the crane. The 12v hydro pump is an $1800 option, holy crap. I can just imagine how much the crane itself costs.

I'll send a PM George.

Another Ahab

Well, we have yet ANOTHER installment for this thread!

I just brought home a Ruger hydraulic bed crane. I really wanted to find a small Hiab K-boom like what we saw at Haspin, but I could not find one. After some searching I found this at a reasonable price. :whistle:
Not to be nosey…but, ballpark:

- >$2K?

- <$2K?

gimpyrobb

Ahab, the Ruger Industries crane was sourced from CL for $275.00. They are outrageous if you buy them new. How is your truck bed working out for you? I know we spoke about your crane a while back.

Another Ahab

Ahab, the Ruger Industries crane was sourced from CL for $275.00. They are outrageous if you buy them new. How is your truck bed working out for you? I know we spoke about your crane a while back.
And a hydro? Can't complain about THAT price.

Getting the boxes mounted on the frame now, and wiring up the crane; another week or two.

gimpyrobb

Some pics before mounting in bed.
So Its mounted and doesn't budge. I did make a top support for it, not sure if I'll put it on or not. Now I need to remember where I put that stupid 2klb winch I got for it! It will be mounted to the top of the post. The top tube is 30" from the back side of the 90*, with the extension all the way in it reaches 54", and extended its 73ish.
Tried it out on Friday lifting an XML on a hemtt rim. It handled it ok, but the bed flexed a little. The base of the crane is too small. Not sure if I want to put a plate between the crane and the top of the bed, or if I want to weld the bottom plate in place. I will have to update the thread with my fix later on.
Whoops, pic!
Bringing this back.
I added some angle iron to the bottom of the bed. I installed the top brace, solid as a rock! I pulled the top and welded on some C channel for the winch mount. Winch mounted and wired up. Now I need to put a sheave in the end of the boom and I'll be ready to load test! Pics later, prob Sun evening.

Hey Gimp i had installed the A3 tires and wheels on my other truck. I used one of those little jib cranes from Northern tool. I fabbed a pedistal on a 24" square steel plate that was 1/4' thick. I rasied the jibcrane on a piece of 8" pipe, welded in gussets for support. I mounted the spare A3 tire/wheel on a channel iron in the bed. I bought a used axle hub and bolted that to the channel. After that I bolted the channel in the bed up against the headboard. All fit in nice, the jib swung out over the side of the bed and I had plenty of lifting capacity.
My next plan is to slide the bed back on this truck and use a 5 ton spare tire carrier between the cab and bed. Of course I have to find one that isn't too far from Jersey first. And the reason is I'm going to the 395's instead of the a3 tires on this truck. Maybe you want to try something like that. Keep it simple. Less things to give you agrivation when you need it least. Take it easy , metalworker393

gimpyrobb

I finally had a chance to try the 939 home-made crane this weekend. After I left the Marengo show on Saturday, I stopped over Jim's place. He had a flat bed M101 with a Mep002 on it and he wanted to put the cargo bed with sides on that he got from GL. I was finally going to get to test my crane setup!

4 bolts got the mep free from the bed and I positioned my truck next to the trailer, lining up the crane. I plugged the adapter into the slave cable port and lowered the hook to the mep, then hooked up. I advised Jim to step back and off we went! I see now that I really need to make an outrigger or a stiff leg. The bed tweeked a little more than I cared for, but I suppose that is because its mounted up front where the spring bolts are holding the bed to the frame. Once suspended in air, we pulled the trailer out from under the genny and I set out to lower the load. Here is the biggest test (imho) because I was not sure how steady the winch would lower the mep. No, it did not lower as slow as I would have liked, but it did not appear to crash into the ground either. I believe the next time I lift a load like this, I will double the cable back to the boom to slow the travel speed down. Another issue I'm not sure I mentioned is this is a 12v winch on a 24v system.

Next we unbolted the flat bed from the trailer frame. Yes, it had like 34 bolts holding them together, wow! Then we hooked up slings and lifted the bed right up. Jim and I worked a deal so that I would take that bed home with me. Once it was up as far as I could get it, we pushed it over into the bed of the deuce. Love those drop sides! Finally we moved the new cargo bed onto the frame and set it in place. NO time to bolt it down, I had to hit the road, so that will take place at another time.

gimpyrobb

Yeah, I was surprised it took as long as it did!

Once I get up to the Beefco secret lab, I will try to get video of it setting the flat bed on the m101 chassis, and of course some pics.

gimpyrobb

Well, I know better than to take a pic with the sun not at my back! So this is the only one I got today, I had lots to do and not much time to do it. Maybe better pics tomorrow.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks