• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

H4 Headlight Conversion

amanco

I decided to do an H4 style headlight conversion. I picked up a pair of 24V H4 bulbs from the UK. They are 70W / 75W I believe the application to be a Land Rover with a 24V system that uses H4 type headlignt halogen bulbs. I also went with the yellow 7" retro fit lense since I was replacing a set of 24V yellow H6024 sealed beams. Replacement bulbs will be about 85% cheaper. Clear lenses are easy to find also.
I used a high temp socket since I was buying a set any way. The wire size matched the 14 gauge stock wire size. I have included a wiring diagram to help if any one else wants to do this conversion.

Attachments

Mike_L

Thanks for posting the photos, looks easy. What amperage system are you running in that M37? Mine is 25A and I was trying to figure, without doing the math, if halogens would load the system down much more than the stock lights. Have you had any problems?

I definitely like the idea, might get to it this fall. I've been looking at some of the H4 conversion kits that are stocked on ebay lately. Haven't noticed the high temp sockets. How hot do your light buckets get with these?

amanco

Light pattern seems fine, these buckets are extremely easy to adjust with a wrench. The notch on the sealed beam bulbs for alignment was opposite the H4 replacements. (2 o'clock vs 11 o'clock) Honestly, I will play with a dremel a bit to correct this.
I opted for the high temp plugs just to "do it right the first time" I don't know that I actually needed them. Just didn't want to find out the hard way.
I have the 25 amp system. I think that the relative low draw from the rest of the truck plus the dual battery power supply will support the power draw of these bulbs. They are not 130w KC's so I'm not too worried.

hoop

When I did mine, it was a direct replacement, except for the pigtail. Easy upgrade.....
7" round can be found cheap and the bulbs are cheap also on E-Bay.

sail-bum

I found mine on Amazon, a little easier for me than the auction route, and free shipping. They should be here this week and i will post pictures of the conversion also.

papakb

I purchased by first set of Hella replacement headlights from a local dealer about 10 years ago and mounted them on the HMMWV. Since then I've bought 2 sets of AutoPal headlights on eBay that were a heck of a lot cheaper but one set came in with the alignment tabs rotated out of position and the other came in with the lens to reflector so badly aligned they wouldn't mount into the headlight bucket. Seems like you really do get what you pay for. I stuck that second set onto the M151 because if there's a vehicle out there that needs them it's the 151. Even brand new bulbs looked yellow in mine.

CGarbee

You may want to add in a relay to your lighting circuit if you haven't already. I didn't when I first did my conversion (thinking that I wasn't going to be stressing the setup too much running 70/75w burners), but I found out that could easily trip the stock circuit breaker whenever I hooked up my M101 trailer to the M37.

I run H4's on everything that I own and really, really like them.

Your setup looks good. I like the yellow lenses although I have never tried running them on any of my stuff.

FWIW, I get all my conversion pieces from Susquehanna Motorsports.
Headlights

Thanks for sharing.

papakb

Keep in mind that if your still running a 25 amp generator in the M37 these headlights can draw up 10 amps each leaving you very little power for anything else. This is also the reason you need to add a relay in the on/off circuit so that all that power isn't pulled thru the main light switch.

What I'd suggest is to run a power lead to the relay and then over to the lights. Fuse this link. Then use the existing light switch to turn the relay on and off. This will keep current draw thru the vehicles installed breakers to a minimum.

Rustygears

Why not go all the way and once installing the new lens/reflectors, then put in the H4 HID kit? They are readily available on flea-bay and most are 24V compatible, just confirm in the fine print first. The standard 35W H4 HID out shine 75W or even 100W halogen lamps and use a lot less power. Also, since they use their own electronic power supply, they have a constant light output regardless of whether you are idling or running high RPM and don't dip in intensity when you hit the brakes, etc. like incandescent/halogen lamps.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just finished my upgrade. I ordered a cheap (35 dollars) H4 upgrade kit for a VW Beetle. Then I replaced the 12 volt bulbs that were in them with 24 volt Hellas. I ordered the best pigtails I could find and soldered in the proper ends from Erik's Surplus. No dremal mods were required, everything fit perfectly.

The drawing the OP made helped and I also had a friend print and laminate the TM wiring diagram in 24 x 36. I know it's only a few wires, but it made it easier and now I have it for troubleshooting.

Due to a shipping delay with the bulbs I ordered from eBay, I ended up ordered 3 more (third bulb got me free shipping) so now I have three spares since they all arrived the same day.

I have pics of my install but it's covered pretty well here and in some other threads. Just waiting for dark to test them out.

Last edited:

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just tested my lights. Might be TOO bright. I thought the brights were on when I first turned them on so I hit the switch and it got even brighter. I need to make sure they are aimed correctly for sure.

motomacguyver

Just did this Mod today to my M35A3, bought the stuff from Amazon, got the Hella reflectors, Hella 70/75 watt 24v bulbs, and some connectors. Took the old military plugs from the back of the original lights, and soldered, heat-shrinked, and bundled, the plugs to the H4 connector. Everything dropped right in just like factory made. NO cutting, pasting, bending.

Thanks to the OP for the nice pictures, I just wired it up like you showed and it works perfect. Saved me some time tracing wires etc.[thumbzup]

jdoktor83

I am planning on doing the 24v hids in my truck. Just have to get the H4 style lens and then order the HID kit. I put the 55 watt HID's in my wifes Yukon Denali and it was the best money I have ever spent. HID's are the way to go.[thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks