• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Definitive M105A2 Recovery Thread?

Snarky

I won an M105A2 approx 9-10 hours away in Arkansas and eventually I'll need to go pick it up. I haven't really seen any good threads telling the process of getting it, other than the nightmares.

I have two options, either adapt the FJ (the Toyota FJ is a half ton truck, comparable to a V6 F-150 with a 5000# towing capacity) to tow the M105. Or drive the deuce up there to go get it.

I like driving the deuce I drove mine all the way from Ohio to Texas. Also there's no adaptations to the deuce that need to be made, that I know of. However, even though my deuce will do 60-62 mph top speed with the larger tires and -A transmission, it's still a long trip.

Aside from figuring out which truck to bring I need to figure out what tools I need.

So far I've read that I should bring a BFH, a HI-Lift Jack, grease, basic tools, a spare, chains, maybe tire slime, and something to air the tires up with.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Possibly a thread that shows a good example of a recovery that doesn't involve sticking it on another vehicle and hauling it off?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Your list is probably sufficient. I'd do it with the FJ-I've pulled M105's all over with Land Rovers, my F-150 and my D-250. They only weigh 2700 +/- empty.

Take a floor jack though-most non deuce vehicles have hitches that are so low, you can't hook the 105 to the hitch without raising the landing gear. A floor jock and a some cribbing.

And some magnetic 12V towlights.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have pulled an unloaded 105 with a F-150 and had no problems.
You need a Reese type hitch with a pintle adaptor. You also need an extension that will raise the hight of the trailer tongue so it will ride level.
Get a set of magnetic tow lights with a long cord and you will have required lighting.
All of the above is available at your local auto parts store.
If the trailer has tarps and bows remove them and store in the trailer...it will help cut wind resistance and keep the side winds from big rigs from knocking you around.
Good luck.

Snarky

I have pulled an unloaded 105 with a F-150 and had no problems.
You need a Reese type hitch with a pintle adaptor. You also need an extension that will raise the hight of the trailer tongue so it will ride level.
Get a set of magnetic tow lights with a long cord and you will have required lighting.
All of the above is available at your local auto parts store.
If the trailer has tarps and bows remove them and store in the trailer...it will help cut wind resistance and keep the side winds from big rigs from knocking you around.
Good luck.

So:
Jacks: floor and hi-lift or just floor?
Chains
Tire supplies
Spare
12v Magnetic Lights
BFH + hand tools
Use the FJ with an adjustable pintle that mounts to the 2" receiver

The max tongue weight on the FJ is 500#, I've seen people state the tongue weight of the m105 from 200# to 400#, but it's certainly under 500?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
An unloaded M105 has a tongue liftable by the common man so it's under 500#. If you have a high lift, use that. With a floor jack you will require cribbing. Will the deuce spare fit in the FJ? Bring a prybar and some oil as well, sometimes the landing gear gets crusty on the 105 and you may have to presuade it. Other than that you would be fine. Might want to give the bearings a feel too.. M105 recoveries are usually pretty simplistic.

Snarky

An unloaded M105 has a tongue liftable by the common man so it's under 500#. If you have a high lift, use that. With a floor jack you will require cribbing. Will the deuce spare fit in the FJ? Bring a prybar and some oil as well, sometimes the landing gear gets crusty on the 105 and you may have to presuade it. Other than that you would be fine. Might want to give the bearings a feel too.. M105 recoveries are usually pretty simplistic.
The FJ is rather roomy, I've gotten four 33"s in it before, I figure worst case the spare can go on the roof rack.

Add a prybar and oil to the list. Check the bearings.

Nonotagain

You also need a 3/4" breaker bar with a 1 1/2" socket for the lugnuts on the trailer.

PB Blaster the lunette, then rotate the lunette, and you will be able to raise the trailer tonge a few more inches to level out. Also the safety chain hooks are too large to attach to most receiver hitches. Bring some clevis rings to attach to the chains.

The cheap magnetic tow lights have crappy magnets so you might have to lower the tailgate and place the lights on the tailgate. There are no horiziontal surfaces on the M105a2 other than the tailgate and inside the bed.

Do you have a transport tag or some other tag that allows you to transport the trailer in public roads?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nonotagain brings up a point I overelooked. I always leave the tailgate down on the 105 recoverys.

Snarky

You also need a 3/4" breaker bar with a 1 1/2" socket for the lugnuts on the trailer.

PB Blaster the lunette, then rotate the lunette, and you will be able to raise the trailer tonge a few more inches to level out. Also the safety chain hooks are too large to attach to most receiver hitches. Bring some clevis rings to attach to the chains.

The cheap magnetic tow lights have crappy magnets so you might have to lower the tailgate and place the lights on the tailgate. There are no horiziontal surfaces on the M105a2 other than the tailgate and inside the bed.

Do you have a transport tag or some other tag that allows you to transport the trailer in public roads?
I can either get a one trip tag from the tax office for 5$ or grab the trailer plate off my utility trailer.

So currently at:
High-lift Jack/Floor Jack w/ Cribbing
Chains + Shackles
Tire supplies
Spare + 1 1/2" Socket + 3/4" Breaker bar
Grease +oil
12v Magnetic Lights set on to lowered tail gate
BFH + hand tools + Prybar
Adjustable pintle that mounts to the 2" receiver. Flip the ring over on the trailer if possible.
Plate/Tag for Road, plate lights. Zip Ties.
Extra trailer for tools to pick up first trailer.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or you could drive the deuce and if there were any problems with the 105, toss it in the back.

KaiserM109

A lot of this is probably a repeat, but here goes anyway. I have towed 3 M105A2 trailers from Ft.Carson to 20 mi. east of Denver with no problems. Two of them I towed behind my ’69 Bronco. An empty M105 weighs 2700 lb. By itself that is light enough to tow without active brakes. Just remember, anything heavier, particularly a fully loaded M105, needs operational trailer brakes. Considering the type of brakes on an M105A2, that probably means you need a deuce or bigger.

I wouldn’t suggest that you take your deuce round trip because of the fuel cost and a deuce pounds you, as you already know. Your FJ will do fine with 200 lb. in the back and nothing in the trailer. The weight in your FJ will dampen any wiggle from the trailer. You can get/build a hitch with a pintle to fit a standard receiver. You will probably want one anyway.

Trailer Inspection:
Crawl under it and look for anything loose or out of the ordinary. Check for forklift damage; GL is bad about damaging equipment by picking it up wrong. There is a device in front of the axle to which the air hoses connect called a Relay Valve. It may be damaged, but you won’t need it until you use the brakes. Search this site for “relay valve” and you will find a thread on it. Drain the air tank and release the parking brakes (up) and it should roll freely.

Take a good look at the hub on the outside. The cover comes off with 3 screws, so it is not too hard to get a look at the end of one of the bearings. There should be a lot of grease visible. If not, you will need to do something about that before you take to the road.

If you are daring and don’t want to open up the hub, at least jack up each wheel and check it for 2 things, 1) does it spin easily and sound OK and 2) try wobbling it by pulling and pushing HARD in and out on one spot on the wheel to see if there is any play in the bearings. There should be NO discernable wiggle.

You can flip the lunette over if it makes the trailer tow in a better position, but it really isn’t necessary and sometimes the lunette is hard to free up.

Take the canvas off to reduce the wind resistance. Drop the tailgate so that it doesn’t act like an airbrake. Get magnetic stick-on lights to keep Smokey happy. The lights on the trailer require 24 volts, so you won’t be able to light them with your FJ.

Attached is a pic of my ’69 Bronco pulling an M105A2 and the hookup.

Have a good trip,
Arlyn

Wow!! There were no posts when I started this! I hope it isn't too redundant.

Attachments

Last edited:

Snarky

How thick is the lunette ring on the M105A2? I know average ring at Tractor supply wont fit on the deuce because the deuce needs a 3 inch hole, but will the pintles they have there hold a military ring, or is the ring too thick?

rat4spd

Do yourself a favor and just do what I did. A 83" wide trailer will work with several inches on either side to spare. Of course, move it back a foot or so as compared to my pic. Voila 65MPH down the highway, smooth as butter.

Attachments

Last edited:

jack's packs

Just hauled one back to San Antonio, from Oklahoma City, behind my Excursion, trailer was loaded with 14 immersion heaters and 6 seventy gallon fuel tanks. Not one problem, forward leaning, but absolutely no difficulties, at all.

frodobaggins

How thick is the lunette ring on the M105A2? I know average ring at Tractor supply wont fit on the deuce because the deuce needs a 3 inch hole, but will the pintles they have there hold a military ring, or is the ring too thick?
The pic I posted of my hitch adapter is a tractor supply pintle.

Andy1234

I towed mine from Rock Island, IL to St. louis, MO behind a 3/4 ton 2wd F250 and had no problems at all.

It towed fine and tracked straight at 70mph.

I hope that is a trend, as I now have 3 more to go and pick up from there....

Andy

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What's the use of having a Deuce, if your not going to drive it? Sounds like a bunch of macho deuce drivers opting out for a "mickey mouse" routine. Pulling a 105 with little cars stuff is plain stupid, as well as dangerous! It will push you into the middle of next week because of no brakes. Get into a wreck, and its a slam dunk for the other Guy. Carry it - yes, as on a trailer. Go pull it with the Deuce, and get a thumbs up - the deuce won't even know its there. That is the only respectable way to go!.

Lee in Alaska

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks