• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Old engine

phil2968

Here's one for ya. A fellow gave me this 1/2 horsepower Lauson Built engine that powered a 12/500 volt genset for radio transmitters inthe Navy. All I have is the engine and the frame. I had to insulate the coil primary wire and did a basic cleaning of cosmoline but it started right up even after sitting for 50 years?. I am familer with the Lauson Engine Co. history but this is the first one of this type I've ever seen around. I have the manual, one corner eaten by somthing that was hungry but still readable. You should hear it purr!

Attachments

Coal Cracker

Wow, now I can see where the Tecumseh came from, Such similarities. I worked on small engines for a while. It's a wonder the carb wasn't sheelac'ed up. nice motor

phil2968

The military mothballed so to speak there was a cork in the exhaust, fuel tank clean and dry. I had to remake one carb gasket due to shrinkage but other than that and the coil primary wires everything works. Trying to figure out what to do with a 1/2 horsepower.

Last edited: