• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002A and MEP-003A glow plug and heater part numbers

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Many of the members in the CUCV forum already have been aware of this vendor. I have purchased glow plugs for my 1008 and civilian GM pickups from him in the past. First class place to deal with!

bc35339

I own MEP-002A and MEP-003A gensets. I needed to find glow plugs and air intake heaters and I found them at www./indusadist.com with part numbers glow plug: 6A843G042k (k appears to be for kit) and heater: 6A843G049. The glow plugs were $17.95 each and the air intake heaters were $32.95 each. Hope this helps someone.
Is this place still in businuss????
I need some glo plugs for a mep002a and cant get sight to come up (no page found)

Carl_in_NH

Remove the wire from the glow plug connector before measuring resistance at the plug's spade connector - otherwise your plugs will be in parallel. If both are bad you can detect it with the wire connected - but it's not so easy if only one is bad.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Excellent point Carl, I just went over my MEP-003a that I put on the trailer and found that 3 of the 4 glow plugs were not making good contact with the terminals....they CARC'd everything and some of the terminals were broken. After replacing all of the wire terminals and sanding the spades on the glow plugs themselves, it fires right off now. I guess that would explain the hard starting in the wintertime...LOL

Nonotagain

Excellent point Carl, I just went over my MEP-003a that I put on the trailer and found that 3 of the 4 glow plugs were not making good contact with the terminals....they CARC'd everything and some of the terminals were broken. After replacing all of the wire terminals and sanding the spades on the glow plugs themselves, it fires right off now. I guess that would explain the hard starting in the wintertime...LOL
The nice thing about the glow plugs referenced is that they come as a kit with the terminal connector. Don't skimp when installing a new glow plug, use the connector supplied.

A little heat cink paste on the connector also keeps corrosion out of the connection and is heat resistant.

VO1960

Thanks so much for the information. I started to suspect the glow plugs on my MEP-002A weren't doing their jobs when I experienced difficulty cold starting no matter how long I preheated. Found both plugs were open circuits. The advice on PB Blaster was well warranted too.

At first, I wondered how to get to the left side glow plug. I looked around and found that the Cylinder Shroud Cover (#8 on P100 of the -24P manual--see photo) appeared to have only 4 fasteners holding it in place. Sure enough, remove those fasteners and the shroud comes off. There's plenty of room now to get to either glow plug for removal.

Thanks again everyone!

Attachments

Triple Jim

It will work for all, but the intake heaters are two 12V units in series, so the individual resistance will be lower than the 24V glow plugs. They normally fail with too high a resistance though, so it should be obvious if one is bad.

Last edited:

Jasonz in MO

I'm rebuilding a John Deere 4 cylinder diesel engine with the glow plugs removed. I tested them with an ohm meter and all tested good. Just for fun I applied 12 volts (it is a 12v system) and measured the current draw for each plug. 2 of the 4 pulled about 8 amps and heated fine. 1 of 4 which was a different brand pulled 12 amps and also heated fine. The 4th plug pulled no measurable current and did not heat at all. Checked it again with an ohm meter and still had 2-3 ohms.

Going forward I will be testing glow plugs to actually heat and pull correct current. Since an ohm meter doesn't test the plug under load. It will indicate an open plug but in my case it ohm tested good but in fact it had failed.

I thought I it worth passing this tip on.