• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Put the 5-ton and M119A1 trailer to work

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I took the new M119A1 box trailer to pick up some square bales of hay. It was about a 2 ½ hour drive each way, since it’s been too dry to grow hay around here. Since it is normally a 2 hour drive, 25% slower wasn't too bad.

We put 105 bales (about 5000 lbs) in the trailer with room to spare (probably could have put another 25 bales in), but that’s usually enough square bales for the year, along with about 40-60 round bales). Had no problems on the way over, since most of the road was 4 lane highways. Once I got there, I checked the left fuel tank, which was switched on, and thought WOW what great fuel mileage. Then I checked the right tank, and instead of about 1/3 full, it was almost bone dry. Evidently the tank switch doesn’t work, and it will only pull fuel from the right tank.

I got the farmer to pull the manual pump from his bulk tank and pump some of the diesel from the left tank to the right, so I could make it to a gas station. It was really close to running out of fuel! Now I have to figure out why the tank switch doesn’t work.

With only about ½ of the 12,000 payload in the trailer, I really didn’t notice much of a change in the ride, but I did have to drop into 4th gear going back up the Atchafalaya and Mississippi river bridges. The speed dropped to about 35 going over the bridges under load, and didn’t drop below about 40 crossing the rivers when empty. I cruised along at about 48mph on the flat roads, which allowed me to really enjoy the ride and the scenery. A great time was had by me. I love my M818!!

As promised a couple of weeks ago, photos below of the before and after cleaning the trailer when I picked it up a week ago, and with a load of hay.

Attachments

Last edited:

Chief_919

Trailboss, were you working the fuel tank lever on the floorboard or just the switch on the dash?
That was going to be my question. I can't count the number of times I have pulled the wrecker or contcat truck up behind a 5-ton that dopped out of a convoy and had the driver say something like "the guage has said full the entire way".

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found it under the hand brake! What a rookie mistake!:oops: I must have missed it while reading the TM.

Thanks!!