• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

we got tunes!

JTugwell

Well Ive read a lot of posts on here about installing radios in the deuce. This weekend I figured Id give it a shot. It also gave me a chance to install my spring ride seat. Got me a 24 to 12 converter, 2 6.5" speakers, 2 6x9" speakers, a sony head unit, 12v acc plug, dome light, and cup holders now. i think it turned out really good, and it sounds great. Figured id show it off a little. :grin:

Attachments

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
You may find that the engine noise makes it hard to hear the music......many years ago I had an 8 track tape player(I did say many years ago) mounted in the glove box of the deuce I drove in Germany.
Since I wear hearing protectors now I was thinking maybe you could use headphones but that is illegal in most states.
I just enjoy the sound of the old whistler and use the time to think about my next green iron addition.

JTugwell

not at all actually. its clear as a bell even running wide open. i can probably attribute most of that to the recently installed muffler. also my imagination isnt vivid enough to think between destinations! ;-)

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice installation:wink: I can just imagine the classic VietNam era rock now:!:

Even if the noice makers (Deuce vs. audio sys.) are competing for your attention, there are always those times when you're parked, camping, etc that some background music can improve the experience.
(Although I discourage unnecessary "Noise Polution".)

I find it curious that you hung the speakers in the soft-top. Wouldn't they perform better on a rigid mount:?: 2cents

JTugwell

Nice installation:wink: I can just imagine the classic VietNam era rock now:!:

Even if the noice makers (Deuce vs. audio sys.) are competing for your attention, there are always those times when you're parked, camping, etc that some background music can improve the experience.
(Although I discourage unnecessary "Noise Polution".)

I find it curious that you hung the speakers in the soft-top. Wouldn't they perform better on a rigid mount:?: 2cents

oh yeah fortune son by CCR pretty much plays in it on repeat. haha.

it does surprisingly well on the road. ive got a muffler, so that helps

i actually have a box for them, and the box is attached to the overhead support bars by rubber pipe mounts. it is not actually in the soft top.

thanks everybody for the responses!

JTugwell

oh btw if anybody wants the old bench seat that came out of her PM me. free 99. also call me crazy, but im not loving the spring ride seat. im all shoved into the steering wheel. does anybody have a remedy for that?

JTugwell

I'd love another bench seat. If you are going to the GA rally I can have someone grab it. If not, give it to someone else :)
im gonna have to play that one by ear. might not be able to make it. good luck on getting your truck out btw. that looked like it sucked. i wish i was closer.

BimmerPower

Banned
Very nice! I'm planning on doing the very same thing but with marine components. What type of converter did you use and how did you hook it up? Can you take a picture of how you wired everything to the battery?

I am planning on purchasing all the components I want to run this week (Sony Marine HU, Alpine marine speakers/amp and alpine subwoofer) but want to make sure that I can still hook it up with enough juice from the battery(batteries). Thanks!

JTugwell

thanks,

i used this converter: DC REDUCER 24 TO 12 VOLT POWER CONVERTER INVERTER 15A - eBay (item 370269269678 end time Nov-01-09 16:02:53 PST)

really no need for pictures its just 2 wires, and you cant mix them up. the output on the converter is a typical red/black setup. the only thing i did different was a put a switch between the inverter + input to turn it on and off, because i didnt know if it would kill the batteries just sitting there. then i ran the memory wire from the head unit to the + terminal of one battery. thats it. the rest is just standard hook up.

good luck with your install. as i found the deuce is more space challenged than i originally thought. if you have a hard top it will make it a little easier than mine was as far as mounting options. that inverter probably will not be strong enough to run a big amp, and sub. so may want to look into something bigger. however, with what i have running it dosent pull more than 5 amps.

take it from a former marine mechanic that youre probably throwing money away going with marine components. they are usually much more expensive, and unless you're planning on hitting the interior with salt water spray the regular stuff will do fine. my buddy cleans out the inside of his jeep with a water hose, and directly sprays his cheapo jensen head unit he got from wal-mart for 50 bucks. still works great. 2cents

i got the stereo from millionbuy.com. pretty freakin cheap. ive got about 250 bucks in everything from start to finish. i figured since the deuce is not very secure that if somebody wanted it more than me i wouldnt be out a fortune.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter