• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tilt wheel in cucv

84cucv1ton

i have a m1009 that needs a small part of wiring in it replaced. (my wipers dont return) i have a whole column from a 88 burban. tilt, intermittent wipers, has cruise control. i would not use that. from what i read this should plug right in. just want to make sure. thanks for the help

Westech

CPL
Intermittent wipers is not controlled in the steering column, but still should work in the "slandered" off, low, high settings. It should be a plug and play and tilt :-D

nhdiesel

I believe the int. wipers is controlled by a small box under the dash. Find a box for it, plug it in with the int. wiper switch, and you should be able to use the int. wipers. At least many years use that box...

Jim

rlwm211

When you say your wipers do not return, please specify exactly what you mean. I have worked on GM wipers for years and the wipers are parked by actually adding power to a circuit which uses a relay to stop the wipers and drop out the power on the motor. Otherwise the motor just keeps going. Changing the column is not necessarily going to remedy this problem if you have a problem with your wiring or components at the wiper motor itself.

I would add that if it is a wiper switch problem in the existing column, you are making the repair in a way that is similiar to swatting a fly with a garbage can lid instead of a fly swatter. Much more work than is really necessary.

Just my two cents

RL

Last edited:

rlwm211

No question, a tilt column is a great add to any stock situation. I just want to make sure he is fixing the wiper problem too.

I have the vehicle wiring diagrams for the donor vehicle if it is needed.

Just my two cents

RL

Well i can tell ya a tilt Column in a cucv IS NOT A PLUG AND PLAY a tilt column is a puller when u turn the ignition switch a column in a cucv is a pusher when u turn the key hence the ignition switches are diffrent for a tilt column and a standard column with out tilt

i know this as i spent this past friday at 7am till 8pm Friday nite messing with the columns im sure its doable but its defintely a planned event how yall have done it im lost cause nothin i tried worked so i ended up putting my old column back in with a a new igntion switch not the key switch but the switch on the column under the dash from car quest that cost less than $10 with tax

with that being said make sure u do your homework before doing it

As for intermittent wipers that littlebox didnt make a diffrence lol i tried plugin it in i think the only thing it would do is give ya delayed wipers but if your switch on the column aint got it its not gonna make a difference one up grade i might do is do away with the style of wiper mootr with the pump on it and go to the new style used in my 87

Last edited:

Hasdrubal

I dont recall having any issues with the ignition switch compatability that you mentioned, as I put mine in several years ago. But it went right in, everything works! So yes, it is plug and play. I got it for the intermittent wiper function as well as the smaller diameter wheel and the tilt is a nice feature too. Really a nice mod for a CUCV!

I dont recall having any issues with the ignition switch compatability that you mentioned, as I put mine in several years ago. But it went right in, everything works! So yes, it is plug and play. I got it for the intermittent wiper function as well as the smaller diameter wheel and the tilt is a nice feature too. Really a nice mod for a CUCV!

Well im missing something i tried a column out of an 86 3/4 2wd suburban and had no luck nothin worked it bolted in but i couldnt get the ignition to work ignitions for a tilt and a solid column are diffrent i know the solid column in the cucv has a diffrent plug than the tilt column switch part numbers are diffrent to so any insight im open for it To each thier own i guess no harm no foul im pretty mechanically inclined nothin worked out so i ended up putting the old column back in

Last edited:
im very Confused with this plug and play stuff its not true

Ok for the post nazi's i know this this thread is a almost a year old. Im really Curious as to how the Tilt Column is a plug and play i could see a column Coming From another diesel being that way.But Tilt Columns From Gas vehicles be it From an 81-87 Chevy truck or an 81-91 Suburban DOES NOT GO IN A CUCV M1008 IS IS NOT A PLUG AND PLAY A tilt column Ignition switch is CS 83 and a non tilt Column Switch is Cs 84 2 very diffrent switches So how ever yall are doing the switch i would love to know i have tried 5 diffrent Columns They Bolt in but electrical plugs are diffrent so my M1008 wont start here are pics the first one is for a tilt Column and the second 1 is for a non tilt So how does a tilt column just go in u cant swap the switches either it doesnt work that way :?

Attachments

donalloy1

Would love to convert to tilt steering column. What is the correct way to accomplish without having to gut electrical? All works on this end. Just would be nice to have tilt and delay for wipers! PLEASE HELP. DMLII sends...

Would love to convert to tilt steering column. What is the correct way to accomplish without having to gut electrical? All works on this end. Just would be nice to have tilt and delay for wipers! PLEASE HELP. DMLII sends...

Im wandering myself to this day people swear they didnt have a problem thiers something diffrent exactly what im not sure i 2 would like to put a tilt column in but with all the issues i had im just gonna have to put a Cucv Column in Would love to know what the exact year of the Tilt column someone used that bolted in and supposely plugged in would be a g reat help thats for sure as i can tell ya 5 diffrent columns rangeing from an 84 chevy silverado all the way toa 91 Suburban ( all of which were Gassers the columns with no tilt work fine as the plug didnt change )if it has tillt it doesnt work )which didnt work Yes they all bolt up like they are suppose to but the ignition switch on the column to crank the truck via a steel rod IS NOT THE SAME ON A NON TILT TRUCK as a tilt hence the DIFFRENT PLUG STYLES on each switch so a non tilt plug wont plug in a tilt ignition switch and im sure vice verse are u repinning the plug so that it will fit if so someone just say so i feel like a crazy man So anyone please i have searched for a month im very curious any info would be greatful :]

Last edited:

DrJekl

The tilt column install is plug and play. I have used columns from an 87 Blazer and 88 Suburbaban. I am not sure the cut off on what you can use but I know those two work just fine. Yes, the ignition switch is configured different for a tilt but the wire plugs are the same, you just flip them over (the one that goes closest to the wheel on the straight column will go on the floor side on the tilt, and is flipped over. Look at the two switches, flip them around and you will see that the pins match your plugs).

Keep the little control box for the delayed wipers! If you don't, your wipers will not work right, if at all (I discovered this AFTER the install and during a heavy rain. Thank you Rain Ex for saving me!). The switch is different and the harness in the column has more wires in it than a non delay wiper switch and harness. The box has an output that uses the same number of wires as the non delay system so everything from the output of the delay box is the same (the dash harness plug is the same for delay and non delay. Wiper motor is the same as well).

If you swap one out, go ahead and rebuild it while it is out. You have four bolts that keep the tilt tight. They are typically lose. The switches and turn signal guts will run you about $50 to replace. The only real special tools you need are the wheel puller and the tool to get the keeper ring from the metal plate on top of the column. You can use some small bolts and a socket or wrench as a puller to get the plugs out that hold the top of the column into the bottom. Do a search on the web for GM tilt column rebuild. The old ones back to 1969 are pretty much the same as through about 1991.

You may need to adjust your shift linkage after you install the column. Be sure to chalk your wheels.

The piece that goes between the end of the column and the steering box can be a biatch if you do the swap alone. It is easier to attach it to the column first, then the box if doing this by yourself. If you have a helper then you can easily get it back on without removing that part from the steering box.

So, to make a short story as long as I possibly can:
1. This is plug and play. Too easy!
2. Use the wiper delay box or your wipers will not work right if at all (plus you get delayed wipers!!).
3. You may need to adjust the shift linkage!
4. Spend the money, buy all new guts, tear it down and "rebuild" it (the $250 service online is about an hour job to tighten four bolts, clean and lube everything. Takes three or four hours your first time so get three columns and do them all at once. The last one is a piece of cake).
5. You just need to flip the plugs on your ignition switch. Plugs and wires are the same otherwise.
6. You may as well swap the lock cylinder so your friends will stop hiding your truck while you are in Wal Mart!
7. A good paint job on the column will make her look good too!

Again, I think you may be able to use columns up to 1991, even from the newer style C/K series trucks but I am not for sure. I know an 88 will work and the columns I looked at in the junk yard a few weeks back look the same but I did not look at the back up switch, ignition switch, dimmer switch, or signal harness. If different, those items can most likely be changed out.

Good luck. and have fun! Take a cordless impact with you with extensions! Makes taking a column out much easier!

:grd:

Last edited:

DrJekl

I flipped one of the photos over. If you just look at the blades for your plugs you can see that they are the same, just flipped over. If I had a plug photo it becomes more obvious.

Attachments

DrJekl

Here we go.
Photo one shows how the plugs sit together. This is how they would plug into a non tilt with the black plug closest to the steering wheel. The plugs are from a stock CUCV harness but that is pretty much a standard GM/Jeep plug set and switch for the era.
Photo two is a side by side of a tilt (green column from a Jeep, same crap though) and a CUCV straight column on the bottom..
Photo three shows the non tilt switch.
Four shows the tilt switch. Note that the switch is the same pretty much, just bass ackwards from the other. Same thing but different if you will.
Next we have the plugs in the tilt, blue is closest to the wheel.
Then we have the stock column and black is closest to the wheel.
The next two have the tilt column switch shown. First you see the plugs lined up as if to go into a stock CUCV column then flipped in the next pic so they will plug into the tilt switch.

The next time I'm out I'll snap some pics of the wiper leg of the harness for delay and non delay set up.

I did not mention that many of the tilts have cruise control. If you want to ditch the switch, just swap out the signal arm with one without the cruise control switch and wire. Advance Auto parts sells a replacement in genuine fake chrome covered plastic for about $8. or you can snag one from LMC truck or eBay for $28.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks