• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What to look for when buying a deuce..

Slim

Hi guys,
New to the site, and all I can say is what a great bunch of info I have found on here. I am in the market for a M35A2, have wanted one since i was a little kid and decided now's the time. My question is, is there anything I should look for in particular as far as a good truck, or were there any that I should stray away from?

I Worked for a Excavating company as a mechanic on Trucks and Equipment, and as a marine diesel mechanic for a number of years, and know my way around an engine and truck chassis. I've done a lot of work on Cummins, Detroit, Cat(didn't enjoy them too much..) and even Volvo.(Sorry can't find a smilie that's puking) But these Multi fuel engines are alien to me.

When looking at a truck, I will basically check to make sure everything functions, Not too many leaks( as some are normal), Make sure everything is in good working order, The engine runs strong, not too much blowby. I definitly would prefer a turbo as opposed to a natural engine, but other than that I'm not really sure what to look for.

Also what is a good price range for these trucks(auction vs private sale)? I'm not looking for a fully restored rig, just a driver thats decent.

I have heard that there is to be an auction in Bordentown NJ in the next few months, how would one go about finding out such info? And how does the auction process work?

Sorry for the long post but I figured I'd try to get all my questions out in one shot since you guys really seem to know your sh*t.

Thanks in advance,
Matt

KsM715

There are a few trucks in the SteelSoldiers classifieds right now. (top of the page under the resources tab) and they are very comparable to auction prices right now with out all the heartburn that the auctions give you. Otherwise click on the Government Liquidation ad on the left side of the page and start there.

Welcome to the site and have fun :-D. If your married be ready to explain to your wife why you need 2 trucks, 3 trailers a gen. and on and on

Slim

Title is very important, I was really just wondering about the different turbos etc.

Is there somebody on the east coast that sells M35's at reasonable prices? I browsed a site of a place in Philadelphia and the prices seemed kinda high.

Am i wrong in thinking i can get a driver for $2000-$2500?

Thanks,
Matt

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Volvo....Theres a nasty 5 letter word!! :p
If you have a choice, get an air shift t-case and a winch truck.

Title is very important, I was really just wondering about the different turbos etc.

Is there somebody on the east coast that sells M35's at reasonable prices? I browsed a site of a place in Philadelphia and the prices seemed kinda high.

Am i wrong in thinking i can get a driver for $2000-$2500?

Thanks,
Matt

Matt,

I searched high and low for about a month or so (not too long, but I had a bit more to spend on a fresher deuce). One thing I noticed is there seems to be a LOT more deuces east of the Mississippi than west.

My 2 cents is to be patient, learn all you can from this fine site and those who lurk hereabouts. And oh yeah....search search search!!! Seems all that lurking makes folks grumpy if you ask questions that are readily posted for all to find.

Besides, you will be simply amazed at what you'll find when searching for what you want to know.

Good luck on your search and use all the common sense you can muster when searching, deciding, buying and most importantly DRIVING your next great acquisition!

Mark

Akicita

Slim,
I just bought an M35A2 at Kublos in Brackney, PA. He has plenty more with the turbo engine, including maintenance trucks and dropsides. He sells trucks with the title. That saves you all that running around it takes to get a title when you buy a truck at a government auction.

Since you are east of me, I guess Kublo is about 200 miles NW of you. I'm near Philadelphia.

2000 to 2500 may be more of a budget for a parts truck than for a daily runner but I've read some posts from guys here on this forum who got a running truck for around that much.

I wish you good luck with your search.
Jeff

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks