• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hummvee tires/lift kits, 880 Dodge

MatthewH

I would like to put hummvee tires on my newly aquired M887. I know that you need a 2" spacer to clear the tie rods, but not sure about the suspension lift. I have heard that an add a leaf will clear them, but also heard they will rub when the wheel is fully locked. What size lift do i need to clear brand new 37" tires without them rubbing the fenders at all?

Thanks in advance
MatthewH

nattieleather

Except that your picture show a CUCV which is a diesel powered Chevy from the 1980s and not a M880 gas powered Dodge from the 1970s. It's interesting that you put HMMWV Tires on that truck because in stock configuration the CUCV is only a 16 inch rim and not a 16.5 inch like the HMMWV and the M880.

But yeah I agree with blck in that a 2 inch lift should give you plenty of room.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would like to put hummvee tires on my newly aquired M887. I know that you need a 2" spacer to clear the tie rods, but not sure about the suspension lift. I have heard that an add a leaf will clear them, but also heard they will rub when the wheel is fully locked. What size lift do i need to clear brand new 37" tires without them rubbing the fenders at all?

Thanks in advance
MatthewH
4" lift should do it.
I have yet to see humvee rims mounted on an M880 series truck.
I estimate that 2" thick STEEL spacers would do it, do not use aluminum spacers!
I have the 36 in bias plys on the stock 16.5 M880 wheels (M1008 came with 16" wheels).
I have a Rough Country add a leaf up front. for road use the only rub I get is in a full right turn, on the pitman arm nut. Changeing over to a 78 & up steering setup will improve that situation.
I made it through the Camp Grayling fall color tour without tire / fender damage.
It just takes a little thought & path planning.

The 36" bias plys suck in the sand and ice but rock in the mud & heavy snow!

Attachments

MatthewH

I have been looking at the radial hmmwv tires, and trying to find enough 12 bolt hmmwv rims to outfit my M887 and M116A2 trailer. A good friend of mine told me that the Hmmwv rims fit, you just need a 2" spacer to clear the offset of such rim.
Is the rub you mention the tire meeting the pitman arm nut, because of the wide tires on the skinny rims?

Thanks in advance

MatthewH

Last edited:

nattieleather

You have to go off roading just to get to Bobs house... :)

I don't know where the post went so we can't say if it is a M880 or a CUCV, but it had a brush guard on it which is CUCV plus M880 were out of the system by 1990-1991. Just saying

southdave

Why not aluminum spacers? Somewhere I have seen a picture of a M887 in the desert during the first gulf war.. Cant find it..
I remember those, I remember that the Cucv where crap over there humvees weren't much better under powered and too few. dodges did pretty well I remember guys driven around with wagon wheel rims (white) big store bought tires and thinking where can I comhaw on of those (seabee) we had few 71 chevys that came out of a cave in norway with a straight 6 in them with a 4 sp they where the " bomb" some had a V-8 all that old crap was taken to grid Co-ordinate and parked it more likley still there lol I got there 2 week after the surrender spent 4 mo.s cleaning up

Last edited:

rue_69

I remember those, I remember that the Cucv where crap over there humvees weren't much better under powered and too few. dodges did pretty well I remember guys driven around with wagon wheel rims (white) big store bought tires and thinking where can I comhaw on of those (seabee) we had few 71 chevys that came out of a cave in norway with a straight 6 in them with a 4 sp they where the " bomb" some had a V-8 all that old crap was taken to grid Co-ordinate and parked it more likley still there lol I got there 2 week after the surrender spent 4 mo.s cleaning up

:confused: I have no idea what just happened here...

citizensoldier

Well back on track here.. The "kid" Haver decided to go with the stock M880 rims and 37" radials. He has to do a little fender trimming up front but should make for a nice riding and looking truck. Maybe he will post some pics..

MatthewH

Okay, back on track,

After cutting the fenders on both sides, i tried fitting the tires again. I found that on extreme right hand turns, the driver side tire not only contacts the draglink nut, but the pitman arm actually fits into the voids on the tire. Mind, i am running 37" hmmwv radials without anykind of lift. After removing the tire, i still have about 1inch of swing to the right side until it reachs full lock.

Is there a later model steering setup from a dodge truck that relocates the pitman arm underneath the box? I know a 1980 ps steering box does, but the arm still juts out into the tire.

Otherwise, i probibly will adjust the knuckle stop and live with reduced right steering

Any suggestion would be appreciated

MatthewH

AndrewH

And back off track, I don't have a 1896 Mercedies pedalwagon, I was wondering if there is a mounting kit for the newer tennis-shoe parking prake. I can paint it green if necessary. The varnishes wheel is too much for me. You guys think HMMWV wheels will fit? Oh, and good luck with the 37's matt. They will look cool when you figure out how to make it work.

rottiedog

same problems

I put some lift and it still hits the steering arm. Bought a PS box and am going to do a crossover to give better geometry and clear the tire on the drivers side. Even with the lift, still needed to strip the front of the fenders.

Attachments

MatthewH

Well, i finished yesterday with the hmmwv tire. They will fit without any type of lift as long as you do some fender cutting and switch to a later model steering setup. I am using a p/s setup from an '89 dodge 1/2 ton, and the tire only contacts the drag link near the end of the right hand turn, within 1/4 inch or so.

Anyways, heres some pics for you guys to look at.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks