• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wheel Cylinder springs

Keith_J

I think I have found the root cause of the leaking wheel cylinder issue, that is a cheap spring used in the wheel cylinders. All proper wheel cylinder springs have expander ends on the springs. The purpose of these is to cause the cups to positively seal in the cylinder, irrespective of hydraulic pressure.

EVERY leaking cylinder I overhauled over the weekend had these crappy straight springs, about 3/4" in diameter which won't do jack squat in a 1-3/8" bore wheel cylinder. The OD Iron kits all had integral expanders on the springs, these are just close-coiled sections on the ends, in a conical fashion so they should function fine as expanders.

Yes, all cylinders honed to a mirror bright finish. They weren't badly corroded, only needed 30 seconds of honing. Just remember, only use brake fluid for honing. The old brake fluid in the wheel cylinder is perfect for this application and a Mity-Vac hand vacuum pump reservoir will press fit on the back of the cylinder to reduce spillage of this precious fluid ;-)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks