• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton winch on a deuce

powerhouseduece

Remember, the drive shaft for a deuce winch is on the drivers side and the drive shaft for a 5 ton winch is on the passenger side. It souds like a hassle to me already.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen it done but it's not a real easy project.

The front axle is loaded pretty good anyway so I don't think I'd want a 20k winch up on the front.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Do a search-multiple threads covering this exact topic. MassM35A2 has a 5 ton winch on his Deuce and has engaged many members who had questions about this swap.

mudguppy

Remember, the drive shaft for a deuce winch is on the drivers side and the drive shaft for a 5 ton winch is on the passenger side. It souds like a hassle to me already.
from what i've read on here, the deuce winch can be reassembled with the drive input on the front or rear, left or right side; it simply depends on the arrangement that it is put back together. so if the 5T winch is of similar design, then it shouldn't be an issue.

IF the 5T winch is of similar design...

from what i've read on here, the deuce winch can be reassembled with the drive input on the front or rear, left or right side; it simply depends on the arrangement that it is put back together. so if the 5T winch is of similar design, then it shouldn't be an issue.

IF the 5T winch is of similar design...

I recently acquired a 5ton winch with the input shaft moved over to the drivers side. It was on a Deuce, so it can be done. It's under a bunch of snow right now. When it thaws out, I'll get some pictures.

spicergear

This has been asked multiple times. The five ton winch can be rebuilt with the pinion flipped so it can be driven on the same side as the stock deuce winch. I installed a V8 CAT which was shorter than the multifuel and moved the radiator back by about it's thickness and was able to mount the BIG 20K Garwood back against the first forward cross member. That is about the only way it will fit and look well...so with a stock engine it's going to look pretty big on the nose of the truck. Also, most of these big Garwoods have the roller fairlead still on them. Take that crap off for a front mount install so you can tighten up the package. Mine front bumper is at least 6" closer to the radiator than the factory 10,000lb Garwood set up. This is a project and can easily look in the wrong proportions...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks