• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce License Plate Light??

DeuceNewbie

Ok so i have done some research on other threads but i just wanted to try and clear up a few points.....I am trying to get my truck inspected, i went the farm tag route and ended up with tags and regular plates and was told that i have to have a rear mounted light for the license plate. I read on another thread and am not sure if i misunderstood that someone said it was ok to mount a regular "12v" light for illuminating a license plate and just put a 24v bulb in it?

Any help would be great since i have no idea when it comes to wiring. I would like to wire it into the tail lights so that it comes on at night.

Also I must thank all of you who reply to many of the random questions and problems that come across the board. Thanks to you all i now have a locking toolbox, locking battery box, locking gas cap and locking door handles on the Deuce!!

jimm1009

That is correct. Most owners that have plates mount them on the left rear mudflap with a light above it.
The amperage for a 24 volt bulb is 1/2 of the amperage for the same bulb in a 12 volt version so if it is good fro 12 then it will work for 24 volts even better.
NAPA has a nice license plate light assembly that is designed for trailers and as a generic replacement for trucks, etc.
You can pull out the 12 volt bulb and cross reference it to the 24 volt version very easily and you will be good to go.
You can tap into the tail light or the marker light on the left rear corner fo the truck and take power from there. That way you have plate illumination when the parking lights or the head lights are on.
Ask if you need help.;)

jimm1009 Below is a link for a pretty sexy installation by gunboy1656 that was made a while back. It was on a seperate plate mounted behind the mudflap but is really sharp.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-...789-i-tagged-bert-now-i-need-tag-light-2.html

Last edited:

DeuceNewbie

Thanks for the info and link jim1009 i really appreciate it. I will run over to napa and see what they have as far as 24v bulbs go! i havent been able to drive her on the road in a few weeks so im itching to get this light in pronto! guess im off to attempt some wiring:)

Thanks again!

gunboy1656

Thanks jimm1009.

That took me a whopping 10 minutes to install.

The bulb I used was #1251. Thanks to the .gov they cut the wire harness running to the trailer plug, and there it is.

jimm1009

10 minutes but a "Quality" 10 minutes it was. I really like the set up and will use it if I move to a state that makes me hang a plate.
:D
jimm1009

79driver

I didn't think the great State of Texas required military vehicles to display a license plate. Do I need to be enlightened?
If you put regular "truck" plates or "farm truck" plates you do. I went this route on mine (farm truck) because it was easy and cheap. I dont have a light on mine but i have yet to be hassled by the cops. (and they even followed me all the way through town one night, running the pate number and trying to figure out what kind of truck it was)

Westex

I'm in the midst of the same thing; I intend to use my deuce for all manner of things and titled it as a "Texas Truck" plate just yesterday. Cost a little bit but I can now do whatever I want with it. Am fabricating an illuminated license plate holder for the rear, and with what I have so far, it may replace the pintle hook. (Just kidding). 24 volt bulbs are available at NAPA and can just go into any standard 12 volt receptacle. And now for the wiring adventure.......

Stan Leschert

Napa plate light and H3 halogen back up lights installed. Seems to meet and exceed current local MOT standards. Now they have fewer reasons to bother me. Also, since I no longer have the luxury of an Army provided Ground Guide.... I find fewer occasons when the paint needs to be re-applied!

saddamsnightmare

March 07th, 2010.

IBID 79Driver above. When I brought my trucks to Texas in 2007, I did not know the regulations, so I got stuck with truck plates on the M35A2 and the Unimog. The Unimog has a license bracket incorporated into the left rear taillight with a white lense like American pickups used to use... The deuce's is just bolted to the rear cross sill under the tailgate.... no where for a license plate light that the tailgate wouldn't take out when dropped.
I have had no problems with the PD's where I travel with this truck, as it's pretty hard to mistake a 686A tan deuce with 3rd ACAV bumper marks for anything else, and the rear plates reflectorized, so what's the sense of needing a light anyway???? (In fact, the plates the ONLY thing reflectorized on the back of that truck!).

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:roll:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks