• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering Stabilizer

Barneyszoo

Has anyone put a steering stad. on a m35. did some off roading and the steering wheel jerked and I almost broke my elbow on the door handle. Ouch!

ivbeenrokd

I was thinking the same thing the other day. I noticed with the larger tires a dip in the road pulled the wheel a little more than I'm use to. Not too bad, but enough that the though crossed my mind.

steelandcanvas

Just a cautionary note for Folks that haven't driven the Deuce off-road very much. NEVER wrap your thumbs around the steering wheel! Grip the wheel with four fingers and keep your thumbs up touching the front side of the wheel. You will eliminate the possibility of broken thumbs this way. Don't laugh, I have actually seen Soldiers with broken thumbs because they held the wheel incorrectly while driving off-road.

rattlecan6104

It looks like I have come up with a potential solution, I just need to track down a pair of steering stabilizers with at least 9 inches of travel before I continue further, but from my half way mock up, it is doable.

o1951

I suspect a gas shock for rear of a car would do it - long travel, double acting so should only need one. If they are gas charged, I believe they work in any position.

tourus

while working in a school bus shop a few years ago we put steering stab. on all of the buses. we got the kits right from a GM dealer like 40.00 dallors for kit and 40.00 for the shock. I still have the paper work because I have used the kit and shock on my pickup works great and cheaper the than any I could buy at napa. just go ask a dealer for the kit for a class 8 truck. the one I dealt with had one in stock all bolt in took about 1 hour to do.

This thread got the gears turning for me. After some violent steering feedback in the mud ruts at Haspin, I thought it worth a try.
The truck has 900x20 NDCC tires all around.
The damper is a Monroe 555949 Gas Magnum RV steering damper. Plenty of stroke at 12.25 inches. Rockauto - $29
Brackets were made from available scrap.
I haven't tried it off road yet. On road it dampens oscillations induced by pot holes and such. I don't notice damper drag when turning but return to center is slightly slower.
We'll see how it works in the long run. The yellow has to go and I'm sure it will work better in green.P1150005.jpgP1150006.jpgP1150008.jpgP1150009.jpg

welldigger

Its funny this thread popped back up. There's another thread just lime this being discussed in the hotrod forum. I'm definitely interested. We aren't famous for good roads here in LA.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks