• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A trip to Redstone Arsenal

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Or "How I learned I should have bought a Dually instead of a half ton".

So somehow (don't ask me how) clintogf talked me into going and picking up these rebuilt deuce air shift transfer cases she bought. I borrowed my buddy David's car trailer and left here at 5am in the F-150. I bought a new Prodigy trailer brake controller last week just for this special event.

Am I ever glad I did! Each crate says it weighs 573 lbs., so that's about 6300 lbs on an 1800 lb. trailer and my truck is rated for 7700............. so............. it was heavy.

As usual Theresa was extremely helpful as was the fella (Michael?-can't remember) who expertly loaded all the crates for me without so much as scratching David's trailer.

I also got to meet SS member "Charlie" (ChuckW on the G) who was nice enough to drive a LONG way out of his way to meet me to give me a mule driveshaft I bought from him. I offered to buy him lunch and he wouldn't even accept that!

Either I smell really bad or Chuck's a heck of a nice guy.

Left here at 5am, got home about 5:15pm. Truck got about 12.5 mpg overall, including the trip back which had the overdrive turned off for obvious reasons.

Enjoy the pics!

C

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They sure look nice. I had no idea they weighed that much though. I would have guessed about 300lbs for the case and maybe another 50-75 lbs for the crate.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
wanna sell um?
I personally do not. I would keep all of them if they were mine, but clintogf would kill me if I did that. As is, I practically had to sign a legally binding contract to keep 2 for my trucks.

So she will be selling them. She'll have 8 or 9 to sell.

They sure look nice. I had no idea they weighed that much though. I would have guessed about 300lbs for the case and maybe another 50-75 lbs for the crate.
Ah ha! I knew they weighed about 500 lbs. Just didn't have a scale to quantify my back pain.
I had originally guessed 3-400 each. But each crate is stenciled 573 and I can barely slide them around on the diamond plate surface of the trailer. They are definitely heavy. It was all my little half ton could do to get stopped and that was with working trailer brakes and fresh brakes on the truck.

Glad you made the trip ok. Are you going to sell some? I should get a spare and they look just like new or maybe better. The government had them rebuilt in 2008 for a ton of money. Well it will be nice as one knows all the seals etc. are fresh which is a lot better than taking a chance on a used unit, at least for me it is. If you do decide to sell some put me down for one.

EDIT: Just looked at the pics again. Looks like all the parking brake stuff is there. Is it and are the parking brake shoes with the unit?
Thanks. Yeah, as I was telling Jwaller, she will be selling 8 or 9 of them. I need at least 2 for my trucks and we may keep another 1 or 2 for her trucks.

I felt the same way about unknown used vs. rebuilt. It's waaaay too much work for me to pull one bad unit (or a sprag) out, install a used air shift that goes for $4/500 only to find out it pops out of high gear or needs bearings, etc. Then you have to do it all over again. I'd rather just buy a good known unit and be done with it.

Yes, they have all the parking brake hardware and shoes and it's all new. That's almost $100 right there.

I will put you down for one. Clintogf says she will take one M48A2 as trade for one transfer case :mrgreen:

I think maccus should qualify for an incredibly senior discount clinto?
No comment 8)

Attachments

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Clintogf, don't forget I want one too. Mine just started popping out of high and I want to swap it and be sure for AK.

Just wondering why you didn't put 2 or 3 in the bed of the truck Clint?

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Just wondering why you didn't put 2 or 3 in the bed of the truck Clint?
I thought the tongue weight was already overloaded and didn't want to push it.

I would have had to disconnect the trailer to get them in and I was on a tight time schedule to meet Charlie.

I didn't want Mr. Forklift driver to risk hurting my already hurt bed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks