• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV gun trucks?

67_C-30

that truck is from germany... it's a 1st Armor Truck... where is it? do you have a better pic of the rear end i might be able to find out what unit it was?
I just bought a M1009 with the yellow and red symbols. I would like to know as much info about it as possible if you know anything about them. Thanks!

Attachments

Alredneck

Banned
The yellow and red reflectors are old school " CAT EYES " they are used for driving at night and are not just Germany specific. The idea is if the red is visible you can back off the yellow being more visible is you may be getting to far. ( You get the idea, look them up its not a rocket science deal ) There are numerace vehicles besides these that have them along with trailers.

I would easily believe that these CUCVs were modified to provide squad level and unit level tactical training for convoy operations. If the unit doesn't have HMMWVs with turrets, but will take them over when they go to the sandbox, better train them how to cover all sectors with what you've got.

kvitt

The CUCVs that were sold a couple months ago at Knox that had the holes cut in the roofs:
Was told by DRMO that they had plywood cut outs hanging on them to make them look like small Russian tanks several years ago...that is why they have hundreds of screw holes as well...
Used them for tank training-hunt and kill scenerios...
A freind of mine has one of them setting at Knob Creek Gun Range, for sale.

emr

I still say cucv gun trucks ...roflroflroflroflroflroflrofl never in action they would have been totaly worthless, sorry but true.as a gate guard maybe, as a training tool maybe, but a gun truck ...rofl

ABN173

I still say cucv gun trucks ...roflroflroflroflroflroflrofl never in action they would have been totaly worthless, sorry but true.as a gate guard maybe, as a training tool maybe, but a gun truck ...rofl
Not true, we used modified CUCV's for Desert Storm. We even had a pick-up without it's windshield so we could bolt a M60 tripod to the hood (yes we had to wear goggles to operate). What make this idea so laughable? Think about the old "Rat Patrol" gun jeeps before you answer. Sure no way your going to armor one like the 5 ton's but still it would have some use (in it's day of course, not now in current conflict with IED's and such)

charlietango

here is one..this particular one supports the M60. I like the guy laughing his ass off over a CUCV with a mounted LMG, its just as useful as any soft skinned HMMWV, jeep, deuce. Not everything in its day had armour like it does today. Guys stuck their necks out there lots without adequate protection and if you don't think it happened you are naive and mistaken.

**** the seals light strike vehicle anyone? NO SKIN just tubing hahaha. lots of guns mounted on her.

edit I will try to get some better pictures when it warms up but the top can run either in or out, simply slides in the rear and shares the same bolts as the cage.

Attachments

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tne red and yellow "symbols" are reflectors, and a requirement in Europe. Nothing special about them at all.
So would that mean the vehicle was in europe at one time if it had the reflectors? I just bought a M1009 with those reflectors, It went to Europe and back?

L1A1

Not true, we used modified CUCV's for Desert Storm. We even had a pick-up without it's windshield so we could bolt a M60 tripod to the hood (yes we had to wear goggles to operate). What make this idea so laughable? Think about the old "Rat Patrol" gun jeeps before you answer. Sure no way your going to armor one like the 5 ton's but still it would have some use (in it's day of course, not now in current conflict with IED's and such)
Interesting you brought that up as the original trucks used by the LRDG were commercially available Fords & Chevies. 2 wheel drive & all (no armor). They relied on speed & firpower for protection.
Matt

Last edited:

quickfarms

Armouring every vehicle is a result of all of the ied's we are encountering.

10 years ago we did not armour all the vehicles.

we still do not armour all of the vehicles.

the armouring of vehicles is theatre specific.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks