• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help..What do I have

RDUKW

Hello All

I purchased a deuce the other day and I thought the data plate was tampered with due to the odd vin#. It ends up the vin# M35006 matches the frame number. After speaking with a friend at the museum he thought it could be #6 and if this is so he had the parts to convert the truck back to a gasser and original. Carnac looked it up and this is what he came up with:

Ryan Organization:640TH CS BN CO ASB HVY ASB Location:LONG BEAC
CALIFORNIA
Nomenclature:
TRUCK CARGO 2-1/2T Model:
M35A2 NSN:
2320000771616 Serial Number:
M35006 Registration Number:
4D5365 Manufacturer:
Usage Miles: 11850

Sep 04
Validate your frame number with the dataplate. My database is showing two vehicles with this vin number. The date of mfg is most likely 1953. this is an old gasser converted to an A2.

Any info anyone could give me to help identify what I have would be greatly appreciated. I still have been unable to determine the manufacturer do to it not being listed on the data plate. If this is an early deuce is it worth the effort to do a complete restoration to original?

Thank You
Ryan

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think it would be worth restoring to original condition unless you want to be different. Not many people want a M35 gasser. although there are certainly some plusses with the gas motor. Much more quiet and faster.

The M35 has not reached the state of where owners want to restore to as new condition. Most people want there M35 to be as close to the current issue equipment as possible or put the biggest tires they can find on it and turn the the motor up to max HP. Oh and its very popular to cut an axle off. I Bottm line is gasser M35 type trucks don't garner much attention. thats my 2 cents worth.

RDUKW

The only way I would restore it back to a gasser is if It truly is #6 then it would have some historic value. Other then that I agree with you if it isn't one of the first ones produced it will be left as a A2 multifuel. I'm still trying to find out a Manufacturer on this truck so I can atleast file for a sf-97.

Thanks,
Ryan

markmontana

I really don't think production no. 6 would add a whole lot of value- in and of itself. Number 1 or 2- yes, but after that, it's just doesn't do anything- at least for me. What would be more important is rarity/availability.

And the most important of all- is it something you want- or want to do... that is (should be) the bottom line.

saddamsnightmare

April 27th, 2006.

Just out of curiousity...... IF your M35 was No. 6 in production, wouldn't that place it as a REO in 1948-1949 or thereabouts?? Curiousity does kill the cat so the saying goes....:jumpin:

Good luck on your hunt.

RDUKW

yes I am confused about all the different info I'm seeing as well. I just want to try to determine what I have to decide which way I want to go with the truck. If by the slight chance it is #6 then I would go through the effort to put it back to original just to have something unique.

Thanks,
Ryan

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think M35's were produced right away. The M34 single rear wheeled trucks were first.

saddamsnightmare

April 27th,2010.

RDUKW:

What changes, if any, were made to the soft top to hand the M66 mount? I have seen metal cab tops fitted with several variations on a gunner's hatch, but I always wondered what was (or is) done with the soft tops. If you look at most U1300L military Unimogs with hard tops (Virtually all of them for what I've seen) they are fitted at the factory with a gunners hatch on the right or left side, opposite wherever the driver's seat is on that particular unit....:D I wish I had the $$$$$ to pry the gunners ring and mounts away from you, but many others on here have much deeeeeeper pockets!

RDUKW

It is a standard insulated soft top and it just goes around the two aft legs and fits a little goofy. I am currently looking at buying another m35a2 that has a hard top with a hole in it for using the turret and it was all done by the military. Before I know it I'll have the trucks to get this ring mount on the way I want:doh:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't be surprised if the gun ring has been removed by the time you pick up. They are pretty anal about taking them off, but once in a while you get lucky, so cross your fingers.

RDUKW

I have already picked the truck up and it still has the ring and mount. On top of that the ring is in perfect shape.

Ryan

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks