• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 snorkel

paramilusmc

So this is my set up just waiting to be painted (whole vehicle) here in the next couple of weeks. The snorkel works great, or at least it seems to be working great. Have yet to find some deep rivers for fording here in southern cali. Bu the cat precleaner is working great and everything seems to be pretty air tight. I have more pictures.

Attachments

paramilusmc

It actually really helps airflow to the engine, the pre cleaner creates a type of vortex spining the air before it goes down the snorkel. I out new magna flow muffler s on the trucka week ago, the truck sounds so much better, I can actually hear myself think and talk to my wife in a normal tone of voice while doing 60 down the highway. But those mufflers have hurt my gas mileage slightly.

paramilusmc

Local caterpillar retailer. Just look them up on line. My dealer was in LA.

I want your paint job. Can you send me some pics?

I have their number back in my office on Pendleton, and I can get you the part number of the 4" version i used on my truck. You can get them in three inch, but i think 4" looks proportional to the truck.

Last edited:

OL AG '89

A parts list and prices would convince me to get er done.....
It looks like stainless tubing???
And what did you use to seal around exiting the front fender?

Looks great!!
have you done anything about the trans, xfer case and diff vents?
I think in DEEP water they might try to suck in water as the components cool down......
any thoughts?
I have considered just adding on to them and putting into engine compartment and up into cab for the rear diff.......????

paramilusmc

I had a local muffler company do it, had then take 4inch stainless pipe usually used for exhaust and had them bend and weld it in (had to be done in sections). It is welded to the fender for support and sealing. Pre cleaner ran about (from what i can remember) $86.00 from Cat. The muffler company charged me 300.00 for the pipe install. Havnt done anything else yet. The outside snorkel was a last minute thing before paint because i wanted it to match the truck. So sealing the rest of the truck up for fording hasnt been a huge priority as of yet. Here is what she looks like now. Sorry the pic is so small.

Attachments

CycleJay

Air cleaner is waterproof from caterpillar. It is designed with a mini turbine inside that shoots out any water, snow, dust, dirt so on and so forth.
Hello para,
Do you have information/links to where you got the air cleaner/cap for your snorkel.
So I can order one for my M1009 when I have the same thing done.

Thank you,

CJ

paramilusmc

What is that thing: No they do, and when i tell them all of a sudden its like "duuuu". LOL

Precleaner: As for a contact, I started here, called Cat directly and they gave me the number to my local retailer. From there I called the local retailer and got it on order. price ran around 150.00

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks