• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

axle boot

jdknech

my axle boot is puking out gunk, so i got under it, and its ripped, is that something i can get at napa? i need to get this back on the road ASAP! thanks guys!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My local NAPA carries them but buys them from OD Iron. He only has them because of all the deuce axled buggies out here. Very unlikely that you will find them at a main stream parts house. Order at least 3, 4 if you can swing it. No better time than the present to start stocking parts.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:ditto:, with the exception of MY local place having them, get a few. OD Iron, Saturn, Memphis, White Owl, e-bay will have them. Try to steer away from the New Star ones....you will replace them in a hurry. Get NOS or silicone.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:ditto:, with the exception of MY local place having them, get a few. OD Iron, Saturn, Memphis, White Owl, e-bay will have them. Try to steer away from the New Star ones....you will replace them in a hurry. Get NOS or silicone.
As far as I know, all of the suppliers you listed carry the New Star brand. They may also have NOS ones though. New Star also has silicone boots but I have no idea how well they hold up.

littlebob

Ditto on the New Star. I got mine from OD Iron about two years ago and they're
already cracked. My truck hasn't even left the neighborhood yet! I'd love to find out more about the silicone he he has before going through that job again.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
what is the difference in the ones with zippers, and without? one better?
The ones without zippers are better but you've got to tear down the whole knuckle to install them. The zipper boot can be installed without a complete teardown.

I've got a couple of extra zipper boots that I'd take $25 a piece for.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
you say you CAN put the zippered ones on WITHOUT a complete teardown? and i'm guessing a bad seal is gunna be a pain.... lol
You're going to have to pull the axle to replace the seal but you have to remove the whole knuckle to install a non-zippered boot. I use the zipper boots myself. They're not as good but a heck of alot easier to replace IMO.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Have you done both Ty? I have done the zipper ones and didn't think it was that bad. For the extra protection, I'm going with the non-zipper next time.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you done both Ty? I have done the zipper ones and didn't think it was that bad. For the extra protection, I'm going with the non-zipper next time.
No, I've never put on a non-zippered boot but I took one look at those ball joints and decided against it. It shouldn't be too bad to install the non-zipper boots if you've got the axle already out but I guess I'm lazy ;).

gimpyrobb

Well I figured since I run through the mud once in a while, I should go for the extra bit of protection.

jdknech

so what is involved with replacing the seal? axle comes out, one or both? do you have to remove the diff? anything else i should do while i'm there?(remember the green thing out back is not a money tree, its a pit! lol)

gimpyrobb

If it it is the seal, that whole side of the axle will have to be taken apart. No the diff does not need to be pulled. There is a great step by step with pics thread here somewhere. let me see if I can find it.