• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobbed Deuce with M101 3/4 Ton Bed and 14.00 NDCC Tires

donkdonk

Well I had some requests to post up some pics of a truck I just finished up with a M101 bed. I have built trucks with M105 beds and cut down stock beds, but I wanted to see what the 3/4 ton bed would look like. The M101 is not as wide as a M105 so the fenders do not line up with the fronts and they will not cover a wider tire, so a fair amount of work was put in to making them wider.

What I like about the 3/4 ton beds is that you do not have to put a spacer under to the bed so the larger tires will clear. On the M105 beds the tires will rub on the inner fender well if you do not put a 4" spacer of some type or they will rub. The second reason is when you put the M105 bed on a bobbed truck the cargo cover stands well over the top of the cab and the M101 you can make just about level. Third is you do not have to lengthen the drive shaft so it saves you a little coin.

The NDCC 14.00's (49" tall) are another thing on this truck that makes it a little different. I think it gives the truck a stock/vintage look but also that "BIG" truck look. The only thing I have seen these on are the 5 ton bridge trucks, so I assume they are hard to find. I have a few of them and I thought they would look pretty good on a truck like this and I think it turned out pretty good.

Attachments

dozer1

Thanks for posting this thread donkdonk. I'm glad I asked about using the m101 trailer. You did a fine job on the
build. I appreciate the pics and the details about the truck. I was wondering about those tires on the other thread pics.
You nailed it with this. "I think it gives the truck a stock/vintage look but also that "BIG" truck look. " I never had heard
of that size tire, but I am pretty new to this hobby-addiction.

Rgdl

That looks fantastic. Nice job on the fender extensions too.

My plan on the M818 after I bob it is to custom-build a box to look like a M101/M105. I want it narrow like the M101 to clear the tires, and want to flare out the bottom portion of the box from both the front and rear corners towards the outer wheelwells/fenders. The fenders will be just wide enough to cover the tire tread (to keep the cops at bay), but I also want to make the fender arc longer to more closely match the lines of the front fenders. I just think the M101/M105 fender arcs look unproportioned, especially with larger tires.

donkdonk

That looks fantastic. Nice job on the fender extensions too.

My plan on the M818 after I bob it is to custom-build a box to look like a M101/M105. I want it narrow like the M101 to clear the tires, and want to flare out the bottom portion of the box from both the front and rear corners towards the outer wheelwells/fenders. The fenders will be just wide enough to cover the tire tread (to keep the cops at bay), but I also want to make the fender arc longer to more closely match the lines of the front fenders. I just think the M101/M105 fender arcs look unproportioned, especially with larger tires.
Post pics of this when you do it, I would like to see something like that. I think it is going to be hard to closely match the lines of the front fenders on a 5 ton.. they are HUGE on a 5 ton.

Rgdl

Post pics of this when you do it, I would like to see something like that. I think it is going to be hard to closely match the lines of the front fenders on a 5 ton.. they are HUGE on a 5 ton.

Agreed.

I want to try and build a scale model just of the bed before I tackle it. Just not sure what to use for material (straws, popsicle sticks.....;) )

edit: If I can't match the lines of the front fenders then I will attempt to build the fenders so that they are long enough to go around the diameter of my 1600s.

edit 2: Donkdonk, that truck looks really nice all around. You have done a fabulous job with it.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks