• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hairba11's edition of civy wipers

hairba11

73X did the hard part of finding part numbers to work,
Anco 41-01 wiper arms and 31-13 wipers,

but when i got the parts home and put together i wasn't happy with the sloppy fit between the metal arm and the plastic J

so i got to looking at it, and started taking it apart.

where the plastic angle adjustment piece connects is thinner and narrower than the actual arm. this is the source of the slop. I removed the adjuster screw, and the plastic bits and test fitted it to the wiper arm. The fit was much better.

since the arm was adjustable for length, i opened the lock and slid the arm out an extra inch and a half or so to make up the difference in length.

The hole in the plastic J ended up about 1/2" past the hole for the angle adjuster, so I drilled a new hole in the wiper arm with a 9/64" drill after marking it with a sharpie and center punching it.
next I used a 7/64 drill to drill through the back of the plastic J.
then i was able the thread the original angle adjust screw into the plastic J making a much more secure connection.

the next modification to the wiper arm involved it's mounting method. Stock involved putting the ferule on, then the nut both with lock tite, then snapping the wiper arm over the ferule and relying on a little spring to keep it on the ferule.
I decided to reuse the factory barrel nuts.

to do this, I put the wiper arm in the vise, center punched the onside top of the serrated cap, and used a 9/32 drill through the top of the cap.
Next i used a small socket and the vise to push the ferule far enough into the serrated cap that the barrel nut would reach the threads.
The wiper arm re-installed just like a stock piece, and allowed for a little wiggle room when trying to line up the wiper with the motor.

Looking at the finished results I'm happy with the new arms, and the rigid hold the modified J has on the wiper.

Attachments

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I did ours I noticed that it came w/ another "sliver" like piece of plastic that fit in between the metal end and the plastic "J". It filled up the space and took out that slop.

hairba11

When I did ours I noticed that it came w/ another "sliver" like piece of plastic that fit in between the metal end and the plastic "J". It filled up the space and took out that slop.
the wiper arms had an extra metal piece, but not that would work with the wipers mounting system.
to be fair, the auto parts store didn't have the 31-13 wipers, but had the metal framed anco areo-vantage wiper blades instead. there didn't seem to be any other pieces in the packaging.

markmontana

but when i got the parts home and put together i wasn't happy with the sloppy fit between the metal arm and the plastic J

so i got to looking at it, and started taking it apart.

where the plastic angle adjustment piece connects is thinner and narrower than the actual arm. this is the source of the slop. I removed the adjuster screw, and the plastic bits and test fitted it to the wiper arm. The fit was much better.
Good job on fixing your issue. For all those who will read this thread in the future- you will find a '5mm adapter' or spacer (plastic) that is in the arm kit. Use it and you won't have the 'slop' problem. The set-up worked great in a recent cross country trip with some heavy rainstorms.

Now time to paint them...

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks