• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV question for ATF/veg oil/motor oil

Mike_Kendall

I recently purchased a book from thedieselpage.com for t-shooting the 6.2/6.5l engines. I am troubleshooting a fuel problem and on one page it talks about worn tolerances on the injector pump and putting 10 percent motor oil in to see if the clearances are the problem. My 85 M1009 has only 33K origional miles. yesterday the temperature rose above 90f and after almost completely losing all power and stalling problems I put some motor oil in but didn't have enough. Friend across the street said he had some, handed it to me, and I put it in before I realized it was ATF. I did not have enough for the 10 percent mix so put a little new veggie oil in also to end up with a 10-15 percent mix. This was all new non-used fluids added and the truck ran awesome afterwards, it is 90-100plus degree weather the last 2 days. I had just replaced the fuel filter without fixing problem. Problem came back worse than ever today and I needed a tow home, I drove for about an hour with no problems yesterday. I'm thinking maybe the ATF loosened up a bunch of crud and I now need another filter. I'd like to find a good way to can-opener style open and inspect the old and newly replaced filters and would like input. Also, would like input on an acceptable range of alternative fuels to diesel ratio on a CUCV in 90-100plus weather. I'm guessing anything that still keeps 50 percent or 75 percent #2 diesel in the summer heat and I'm OK but want input. Tomorrow morning resumes the troubleshooting and advanced thanks to all who provide input. I would just run #2 diesel but ended up blending some other stuff in because of the recent problem and troubleshooting.
Mike

Last edited:

ca1517

Have not tried that particular mixture. I would look at the fuel filter first. I run my 1009 on 100% bio-diesel most of the time. The only problems are the mechanical fuel pump on the side of the block did not seem to like it, I replaced it, about $25 at a parts store, and I had a fuel line swell shut. I think your mixture should be fine.

bigtruck

Sounds like the flex ring inside your injector pump has deteriorated and is clogging your return-line-check-valve, thus starving your engine of fuel. To fix the root cause, you'll need to rebuild the pump. I ended up doing mine myself with a 30$ rebuilt kit from stanadyne. As a interim solution, you can repeatably clean the valve with brake cleaner OR you can knock the clear glass ball out of it (creating a straight thru fitting). The problem with removing the ball is that it allows contaminates to get back into the fuel system, and it also prevents the injector pump from operating correctly (due to the lack of pressure in the pump housing). Hope this helps. You can search return line check valve for more info. Or search for info on the injector pump itself

transman

Veggie oil is a great cleaner/degreaser. (ever look at your grimey fingers after eating an order of fries?) point is expect a couple of filter changes after your first batch.

paramilusmc

Wow, anyone else have some input on this, I am extremely interested if my truck can run off ATF fluid, and what ratio of oil to fuel do i need to make my truck run off this stuff (veg. oil)?

kipman

I use two ounces of two stroke oil to a gallon of diesel, truck loves it, Doc farmall is running his 1009 on 100% mineral oil, runs great.

stampy

ATF, WVO, Diesel...all have been through mine with no problems. I just put on a spin on filter to make the filter changes easier.

stampy

heres the info

I got mine in the boating section at walmart....The filter says not for diesel but I used it until it plugged up then cross referenced it at napa. I don't remember the number off hand. The kit was around 30$ and you have to buy a couple of fittings at the hardware store but it works great here in NC.

stampy

Remember also I am heating (to remove water) and centrifuging (to remove heavies and particulate) sometimes blending with diesel then using the fuel. It is not as simple as pulling up to your local veg oil tank and pumping into your fuel tank.

Preacherboy

I'm thinking of getting a cucv or a suburban with a 6.2 diesel and making it look like a cucv and I have access to a couple hundred gallons of wmo and home heating oil. I have a set up with a hand crank pump going through 2 filters (spin on 10 microns), one is a regular fuel filter adn the other is a water separator fuel filter...I just pump right out of tanks into the deuce or gas cans which get dumped into the deuce.

Just curious if I was to run 50/50 with diesel and filter my umo this way if I'd need a spin on filter kit installed on the truck. Do the 6.2's not already have a spin on kit?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks