• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Optimizer 6500 or P400 6.5L eng

Stonepicker1

Looking for help...

I have a 1999 Chevy CUCV-II 4x4 Pickup that needs a new engine.
I will either put a New Optimizer 6500 or the New P400 in it.

Question is has anyone put the P400 6.5L Diesel engine into one of your 1995-2000 chevy trucks?
If so what problems did you have( oil pan hitting the front diff ? or things not matching up )
I know I can put the Optimizer 6500 in with no problems( I think ). Just wanted the strongest 6.5 engine(P400) if I can make it fit.

I got an email from GEP(wwwilliams) with a price of $5,800 for the P400 long block and $5,400 for the Optimizer 6500 long block.

They are going to send me a price for the complete engine drop-in tomorrow.

Any help would be appreciated :???:

Attachments

67_C-30

There is a guy on thedieselpage that put one in a '93 C3500. He had to have an oil pan made to clear, as the P400 oil pan is too big. The P400 is definitely worth the effort though. The steel crank and integral stud girdle makes it much more durable than a reg 6.5 or even Optimizer.

Stonepicker1

Thanks 67_C-30, I just signed up over at dieselpage and will check it out.

I just got a reply from wwwilliams that the P400 will not fit because of the oil pan will hit the front diff.
I'm going to do some more research to see if it can be done.

Attachments

burbn10

Couldn't you just do a suspension lift to the truck with a front diff drop bracket to clear the P400? Just a thought.

I like your truck btw!

StrengthDoc

The P400 would not fit with the oil pan that it has. It would have to be custom made.
Appreciate the thought regarding oil pan issues - I had read the same concern in another thread somewhere. I had mentioned the project to a friend of mine, a custom motorcycle fabricator with pretty comprehensive machine shop. He got excited about the idea of modifications to the oil pan to make the project work.

The Cummins 12v idea is something I considered and studied - seems the work it takes to make a 6BT work is way over my head, whereas the 6.5 seems simpler - not simple by any stretch - but simpler.

Appreciate the input, guys.

IdahoPlowboy

I would consider a cummins 12v swap @ those prices...they are already proven economical power 2cents
At those prices you are buying a new motor, How much does a new Cummins cost? Then you have the cost of the swap. If you are comparing cost atleast keep it Apples to Apples Dont compare the cost of a new P400 to a 300'000 mile Cummins out of a old truck.

StrengthDoc

New vs used

Nothing wrong with a Cummins 12v to be sure. Proven power plant. Cummins has been dropped in a land cruiser but it ain't an easy process.

If I decided to go with a used diesel engine, it would probably be the Toyota from a Canadian Landcuiser diesel. There are ways to bring a donor vehicle stateside without a ton of expense. There is apples to apples comparison.

I'm interested in the GM engine because adapters are readily available (Marks Adapters) and this repower has been done many times in Aussie rigs. The P400 seems the best option within that subset given my accessibility to a machine shop with skilled hands for the oil pan fit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks