• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Corn head grease in winch

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I rebuilt my winch and to make sure I don't develop any leaks, I was going to use the John Deere corn head grease. To the people that use this stuff, how much do you put in? Do you just fill it up to the same level as in the LO or do you add more. I'm thinking you need to have more for the grease to get into all the bearings and such but I'm not sure. If you use more, how much more?

I've also got a leaking steering gear that I'm thinking of putting this stuff in.

badgmc56

We used to do that way back when with the 55-57 chevys on the steering boxes. Could never keep the pitman shafts from leaking when they got a little play in them. I pump them up to the top to make sure everything gets lubed. On the GMC pillow block for the rear driveshaft, grease is the only thing that lubes it so I don't think you will have any issues.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just put the corn head grease in my steering box, I put the same amount in as the LO calls for. What I did was to drain the oil of course, and then I pulled the fill plug to vent it, next I installed a grease fitting in the drain hole and filled it from the bottom and reinstalled the fill plug. I don't think it will be necessary to over fill them, since the grease is so thin it will get into the bearings as it is used. Since both of these applications are fairly low speed grear cases the corn head grease should be pretty good for this stuff.

badgmc56

Hey Speddmon, Great idea to put a grease fitting in the drain plug. I just put the grease gun in the fill hole and pump till it flows out . I will try that next time.

AceHigh

I put it in and used the same as the LO specified. I think it was 16 oz in the smaller side and 20 in the larger side. I think the tubes are 16 oz? So I used 2 and about a third of another.

That was in the spring so far so good.

AceHigh

It pours like a heavy syrup. My guess is if you plan to use the winch daily or weekly just repair the seals and use the specified lube. For occasional use cornhead is a nice shortcut.

Last edited:

lacoda56

Corn head grease is extremely thin. I don't know how well it stands up to extreme pressure applications, but the corn head row unit gear boxes it was designed for take a beating and they're not really low speed.

hdexpert

My steering gear box was leaking pretty bad so I drained it and pumped two tubes of corn head grease in from the top. So the grease would flow a little faster I removed the end of the grease gun (the fitting that would go on the zerk) . I had to order the tubes of grease from my local John Deere mower shop, took a couple days to come in. The kid I talked to had never heard of it!! He had to ask his boss what it was. Guess they don't use it much on mowers.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Google it or search it here on SS. Corn Head grease is good stuff. I know the JD part number has been posted here before. try both "cornhead grease" and "corn head grease"

I heard that Westech uses Cheese Head greese, out there in Wisconsin.:p Poof, Kenny, DrGreg, can you confirm this?

Last edited:

phil2968

The snapper mower company uses a 00 (double aught) grease in their gearboxes. Very runny grease! Should be able to buy it at any snapper dealer in 1 quart bottles.

RAYZER

Sure does!! That or somebody fed a baby Indian food!!:p
This answers a question iv'e had for a while! i posted a thread a while back ( green goo ) asking what this was after it glopped out of one of my steering knuckels, no body seemed to know? it seems like a good idea to run this in the knuckle ( half full ) because my axle u joints are un sealed.

Attachments

poppop

On our corn heads the grease fitting for filling is on the bottom. We remove the top plug and fill until it runs out. These units are very high speed and take a beating and very seldom fail. If the winch were mine I would fill it up.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for all the responses.

The winch has got new seals in it all the way around but I've heard of several resealed winches that would still leak the gear oil out. That's why I'm going with the corn head grease.

I've put in 3 tubes so far ( 1 3/4 in the worm side and 1 1/4 in the shifter side). I think I'll add atleast one more tube per side to be safe.

RANDYDIRT

Dayum, this is a classic... When I first read the title I thought it read "Corn Hole grease in Wench".

Dirt

Last edited:

Gastrap

Google it or search it here on SS. Corn Head grease is good stuff. I know the JD part number has been posted here before. try both "cornhead grease" and "corn head grease"
Deere #AN102562, good stuff. Deere corn head gearcases have 11 gears, 8 bearings & 6 plain bushings in them & the grease never fails them unless someone fails to grease them.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks