• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a3

waterguy

I am new to this site, and will be getting either a M35A2 or A3 hopefully soon. I am aware of most of the differences, but was wondering what the main concensus is on which one to get. The A3's look better to me, but the A2's seem to be more popular. Any input is appriciated. Also if I get an A2, how much trouble is it to put the super single tires on the A2?

flyxpl

if you like the looks of the A3 I would buy it . The cost of putting super singles and power steering on a A2 will put you over the cost of what A3's have been selling for on GL .

AceHigh

I have both, I love both. Kind of like asking what oil is best- you will get a lot of answers that may or may not be helpful.

The Cat engine and Allison transmission is very impressive, also the newer components on the A3 are great. Still, I love the feeling of history when I get in the A2.

AceHigh

Just for the record, some things I have found to my liking on the A3:

Dual airpack brake system
E-brake "On" warning light on the dash
Bed tie downs
Auto tranny
Brake master cylinder real easy to check and fill
Great driver's seat (same old crappy passenger bench though)
Cab sound insulation, engine muffler
Rustproofing
Power assist steering
Belts appear easier to service, have not done them yet
All filters are already spin ons.
Heater is under dash, great defroster (from its appearance, will know soon enough)
Electric wipers, windshield washer (but mine is defunct- very high on the to-do list)
Low air pressure light
Air dryer
CTIS (pluses and minuses)
Super singles and turbelss radials
Improved wheels
Marker lights, back up lights
Headlights seem a little easier to service

ETA forgot these

Mine has the cab reinforcement plate
Better seat belts

Aluminum fuel tank, improved fuel cap

Last edited:

lonegunman

Ditto on everything AceHigh said. I picked my A3 up last spring had it serviced and drove from Georgia to Washington state the next week. No problems, nothing broke and God it was slow.

I drove A2's for forest fires and in a combat comm unit while in the military, they are cool and that was what I was looking for when I got my A3. But, adding just a few of the major upgrades of an A3 to an older A2 will cost you more than the truck is worth.

There are only about 5500 A3's out there compared to tens of thousands of A2's so they are scarce. Quite a few are heading overseas and to wildland fire units. Wyoming is trying to get 125 of them according to an article I saw.

If you can find one out on the market for under 10K I'd be amazed, Idaho motor poll has them for $16,000 a pop.

waterguy

Outstanding input! Thanks a bunch. I do like them both and will eventually have both. Has anyone had success installing an after market hydraulic winch on an A3? Would it need the hydraulic tank or could it just hook up to the power steering unit its self?

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
how much does a decent a3 run for these days. havent seen any in the classifieds
GL runs about 3-6K depending on the usual factors: condition, location, how many are selling at that time. GSA runs about 3K tops but the odds are that A3 will have a serious issue. Last one I read about here could only drive in reverse. Private would run you 8K on up, hard to say to what exactly.

flyxpl

Outstanding input! Thanks a bunch. I do like them both and will eventually have both. Has anyone had success installing an after market hydraulic winch on an A3? Would it need the hydraulic tank or could it just hook up to the power steering unit its self?
I think you would be better off just buying an A3 with the winch already on it . The cost to add it afterwards would pro bally come close to the extra you would spend getting a A3 with the winch already on it . My A3 is a winch truck , the engine has a hydraulic pump on it with two huge hoses going to the winch . It would be expensive to add afterwards . I paid about $ 2000 more for an A3 winch truck .

flyxpl

Another member here drove it from Sparta to the Madison WI area . I then drove it home 324 miles . I had a fuel leak issue that was a easy fix . So far it has been a good truck . Description said driven on to lot and starts and runs , that made it worth more money to me knowing that I did not have to pay to have it trucked .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks