• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tilting Deuce Hood?

Mark2X2

Anybody try making a M35A2 hood, grill and fenders into a tilt hood? I know it would be pretty heavy, maybe hydraulic, pneumatic or mechanical lift of some kind. Any thoughts or seen it done? Think it would be nice feature.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I been kicking that idea around for years.

All of the components would have to be welded together (hood, fenders, ligth panels, side panels).

If you could get it to work like the 900 series hoods it would make maint a lot easier.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
They had tilt hoods on the 900 series 5 tons that had winches.

You just had to lean farther over to grab the handle.

Even though they were made of fiberglass they were heavy and there was no mechanical assist to help you get them open.

Still better than crawling around on fenders to check oil and such.

gunboy1656

Actually on the 900's the winch sat lower so there was not clearance issues, like on an M35 where the winch sticks up.

I believe they made a version where the grill stayed in place and everything else raised.

jesusgatos

Really? This has got to be one of the easiest-to-work-on and most accessible engine compartments of any truck I've ever worked on. No complaints here. I love that I can sit up on the fenders. I did just get a late-model NOS fiberglass hood though. It's definitely a military - maybe an A3 part? Dunno, but it's pretty sweet.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks