• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

replacing ferrule on injection lines?

dkeven

all right read several tm's did not see this answered. Can and where would you get a replacement ferrule for an injection line. One is leaking and think it may be cracked at ferrule. number 5 actually

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Your answer is not to do that. All the lines have a specific length. To change the ferrule, you will have to cut the old one off. That shortens the tube length, which in turn, changes the timing of the motor.

Buy a new line.

On a side note, I have taken lines off and slightly twisted them while tightening the nuts. That let it "seat" in it's hole better and stopped the leak. So far that has worked 50% of the time.

One worked, one didn't. Ymmv.

dkeven

I suspected the answer would be along that line but I guess I am not understanding the reasoning, once the lines are full the simple law of hydraulics is what is pushed in beyond full is what is pushed out. How this could affect the timing is a bit fuzzy here. I would bet a half inch shorter line with a new ferrule if I could get one would see no difference in operation. Seeking to understand here. I will pull it off and inspect and try the twist on the seating. The set of lines at 2 bills plus is ridiculous for tubing and ferrules

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I guess you have a point there. I was just posting what I have read by people smarter than I. Maybe you should search for post by "cranetruck". I'm 99% sure he has/had found the ferrules you want and the one that advised against cutting the injector lines. I might see if I can find the posts, but I will not promise results! hehe

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess you have a point there. I was just posting what I have read by people smarter than I. Maybe you should search for post by "cranetruck". I'm 99% sure he has/had found the ferrules you want and the one that advised against cutting the injector lines. I might see if I can find the posts, but I will not promise results! hehe
The steel ferrule gets impressed into the steel line and the line would have to be cut for sure if it had to be replaced.

About equal length fuel lines, it seems to me that the only time it would have an effect on the timing is if the lines are empty, a short tube will deliver the fuel quicker, however, if they stay filled it shouldn't matter...need to check up on that one...

dkeven

so far what I found is the nut itself bottoms out after the ferrule is compressed, further tightening of the nut just causes the ferrule to compress beyond a point where it can be tightened by the nut. I am off to see if there are replacement ferrules at napa and will update this when I get back.
UPDATE: the ferrules are called ermeto ferrules acording to Dixie Diesel look like Parker byte type could be same thing, carefully removed old ferrule with grinding wheel, shortened tube 1/4 inch so it bit into new section put nut and ferrule on tightened in head no leaks good to go. Ermeto ftg. per Dixie $5 each byte type less than a buck size is -4 or 1/4"

Last edited:

ARYankee

Here are some pictures of my repair. I just took the fittings to NAPA and they hooked me up. It cost me $1.25. I have ran it several times and driven it to a car show. It is holding good. BTW that is poly airline tubing that I used. I acquired it from a previous employer.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks